When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another JMB - NOT 1016...

bobandshawn

Hey guys,
I was thinking about projects and realized that every watch I have built was black-faced...plus, not really anything a little dressier. So, a little creativity and we have a "1990" Rolex Air King. JMB case set, gen crown and tube, Gen ETA 2824, Raffles dial and hands. Thoughts?

B

iymUh9x.jpg

Previous iteration...

cuk6fUS.jpg

Edited by bobandshawn
  • Like 2

Second is much better than the previous... but with a black dial (the old one) it would be even better...

(BTW... if it's fine for you then it is good...)

Edit:

Sorry I was thinking about an Explorer... That's good to be an Air King...

Oh... wait... you get a wrong dial... :(

Edited by lorenzo1910

MORON UPDATE:

After all the work put into this...obviously close-in...I just realized that the dial is an OP, not an Air King. 

MORON UPDATE:

After all the work put into this...obviously close-in...I just realized that the dial is an OP, not an Air King. 

• Haha 1

I had to do a little brush up on AKs- most of them are 34mm cases

14000, 14010

114200, 114234

The 116900 AK is new and is a 40mm case.

Oyster Perpetuals are 36mm

early ones are like 1002, and 1013

later ones are 116000 but I can't figure out when they started.

So your first watch is more correct than your AK as far as the 36mm case size but who's going to notice? Nice job.

1 hour ago, alligoat said:

I had to do a little brush up on AKs- most of them are 34mm cases

14000, 14010

114200, 114234

The 116900 AK is new and is a 40mm case.

Oyster Perpetuals are 36mm

early ones are like 1002, and 1013

later ones are 116000 but I can't figure out when they started.

So your first watch is more correct than your AK as far as the 36mm case size but who's going to notice? Nice job.

I wish I could find out some more about them. I'm trying my best to reconcile the JMB case (lug holes) to a year and model...with limited vendors for dials that will fit. I THINK lugholes went to about 1990. The white dial was OK, but I wasn't crazy about the blue sticks. And, you are right...no one is gonna tell on the wrist (it still wears pretty small).

Thanks,

B

I certainly can't figure out the OP line. Watches like the 1002 and 1013 were from the 60s thru the 80s- maybe as far as up to around 1990 like the 1016 Explorer and the 5513. Those 1520/1570 movements had a long run. I would assume that the 116000 OP came out in 2000 at the earliest- I bought a 118208 recently which has a P serial. So there's a gap between 1990 and 2000 when it would appear that Rolex didn't make an Oyster Perpetual by itself. 

I think lugholes went out around 1995 on DJs- the model 16200, etc. early ones had holes and later ones didn't.