When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Smallest/biggest watches youve owned & wore?

tyrantblade

Smallest i had in a very long time was the CW Trident GMT MKI i had; not exactly a small watch, more like a modest sized modern mens dive watch.

Biggest was either of the 3 Invicta watches i used to have (all at seperate times); i know some people wouldnt believe this; but they actually worked and did not fall apart.

Now ive resigned myself to trying to stay in what i would call a modern mens midsize; but biggest i will likely go back to would be 45ish mm; if i build up a collection (i usually only have 2-3 watches at a time because money can be a problem and watches arent priority #1).

Right now im just hoping i end up able to keep 1 long term (a new style planet ocean  (8900) rep that doesnt seem popular yet); maybe in a couple years i will buy more though.

I guess the smallest would be an old ETA that I picked up in a yard sale for a couple of pounds here in the uk. It is maybe 35/36mm. Not in fantastic condition but it runs and keeps time. A classic old Swiss watch that I may one day have restored. At least it's been saved from the rubbish tip. 

The largest is probably a 47mm Pam. At a time when I was wearing 39-42mm watches it felt and looked (in my eyes) ridiculous. Now days it would look on the larger side of normal.  

Smallest for me was a little gold Gruen manual wind tank watch back in the 80s. On a good day it was maybe 1" long top to bottom. Today it even looks small on the wrist of Mrs. Nanuq.

Biggest? That's easy, it was some Godforsaken PAM monstrosity at AJ's house in the UK. It took two men and a small boy just to wind the behemoth. But being a good guest I didn't say anything at the time.

I like vintage watches and have girlie wrists, my sweet spot is 36 - 40mm. I have an Omega I picked up a few years ago, solid rose gold case and very pretty, but feels too small at 30mm. I have a small collection of military watches and some of the early ones are tiny by modern standards. I have three working WWI trench watches and some parts and projects. By random chance I have two the same and of that pair the one in less good condition gets fairly regular wrist time.

Large, I’ve grown to like 44mm Pams, I have a couple at 47, but feel a bit self conscious in them. I have a B-uhr homage. 55mm. Even the strap is so big, I could probably wear it around my thigh. It was designed to go over gauntlets though.

6ED8151F-FCC2-4455-A60A-CF3CED46C642.jpeg

Guest ThePhilosopher

My Seiko military-inspired watch is 37mm, the biggest I've ever worn is one of those massive U-Boats. Currently, my largest watch is probably my Suunto Core.

Edited by ThePhilosopher

Me old mans 52mm solid silver u-boat

117 of 1000 pieces, so big on the wrist

and that little 1974 seamaster which I refurbed and rebuilt which is a beauty 

0A33FBCB-3686-4C42-9705-0CAC2ACE5687.jpeg

9936651B-F386-48F3-87B5-0E6B7BC1DEC5.jpeg

C26E1CB8-EFDF-4060-8CDF-A82BE23DB532.jpeg

This is my fave small watch I own so far from perfect I brought this in pieces and the only thing I couldn’t source is the 18k gold 15 minute bezel marker but I love it!!

08F77091-058E-40CE-95E2-74B511393E21.jpeg

56820C5B-FC07-49B3-81B9-805DDAF486EB.jpeg

Jack1993 it looks like you've found a home here. Very few of us are happy to just buy and wear something, before you know it the tools are out.

I'd like to see that one finished and photo'd if you could get someone to make that 18k marker for you.

2 hours ago, kernow said:

Jack, a goldsmith could easily make a 15 minute marker for you. Lovely watch by the way. 

You know what I never even thought of that ? thank you very much

1 hour ago, Nanuq said:

Jack1993 it looks like you've found a home here. Very few of us are happy to just buy and wear something, before you know it the tools are out.

I'd like to see that one finished and photo'd if you could get someone to make that 18k marker for you.

Cheers mate, yeah I’m really enjoying it here. Not been on any forums before and I shan’t be joining another, it’s good here. 

I did put put new pins in the bullet strap to tighten it as it was so stretched, apart from that just took it all apart and put it through ultra sonic cleaner and it came out gorgeous, was in a very bad way. Also I think I like that the marker is missing, it’s clean with a patina and the watch is over 60 years old it’s good to have a few war wounds! Cheers guys again

2 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

When you buy your first lume kit, you will be able to fill the 12 marker too. It ain’t a big job to repaint the black minute marks. Boom! job done.

I have a loom kit but I just wasn’t to sure I wanted to keep the hands as they were a little tatty, the 12 marker I may do! Good shout!!

There’s a little step sequence I made, oh and some more of my small vintage omegas ???

8CC1266E-63DB-4CA3-ACC4-DFBF0330C544.jpeg

39589D50-19E5-4001-9358-CE887A66A8A9.jpeg

I use to be crazy about Breitling. Got myself a Skyland 45mm and figured it was the perfect size for me. Found a nice Super avenger 48mm and thought 'hey, the bigger the better'.

After a while i was wondering whats up with Rolex subs? Whats the fuss about? Grabbed a 16610 and slapped it on my wrist. Its so tiny, its a girls watch! I complained about the small size of the sub and my wife told me that she would say that the sub is in the sweetspot for a mens size watch. So the only watch i took with me on our honeymoon was the sub just because the wife mentioned that the watch was a good size for a mens watch and if some one stole it i would still have my precious Breitlings waiting for me at home.

When i got home after two month i realized that the skyland was a hefty piece and the super avenger was just ridiculous with the overkill size. Ended up reluctantly selling both breitlings and was so angry on the submariner who made me change my view of watches that i sold the sub too.

Im in to vintage now and my wife thinks im nuts....

• Like 1

Boy I dunno, if it was up to me I'd leave that Breitling dial and hands alone.  Legitimate "wabi" is verrrrry hard to reproduce and you've got it there.  Give it some time and you might find you prefer the tatty look.

• Like 1

I have a legitimate 1958 Submariner and it's well worn. I built its big brother from the same era, and over two years' time I nearly have the patina to where it looks almost sorta the same-ish, kinda, a little bit if you close one eye.

The eye is incredibly astute and it picks up fake wabi instantly. If you got it, keep it!

decisions1.jpg

• Like 2

On 31/10/2017 at 8:32 AM, Sogeha said:

I like vintage watches and have girlie wrists, my sweet spot is 36 - 40mm. I have an Omega I picked up a few years ago, solid rose gold case and very pretty, but feels too small at 30mm. I have a small collection of military watches and some of the early ones are tiny by modern standards. I have three working WWI trench watches and some parts and projects. By random chance I have two the same and of that pair the one in less good condition gets fairly regular wrist time.

Large, I’ve grown to like 44mm Pams, I have a couple at 47, but feel a bit self conscious in them. I have a B-uhr homage. 55mm. Even the strap is so big, I could probably wear it around my thigh. It was designed to go over gauntlets though.

6ED8151F-FCC2-4455-A60A-CF3CED46C642.jpeg

Can you tell me some more about this? My dad owns a longines 1915 trench Watch movement all stamped and all original parts, the same movement they won 6 Grand Prix and Watch is stamped with all the cities they were won in, I’ll see if he will let me dig it out and get a few pictures