When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Making a 1016 Case

jmb

I finally got in some 2824 16200 cases, it was a really long wait as they have been unavailable since about Feb of this year!  Dimensionally these appear to be the same although the machining tolerances were not as tight as older batches.  Progress, right?

I snapped some pics of the steps these go through to make 1016 cases although I forgot to take a pic of the rough machined case before drilling any holes.

I start out with a plain "vintage" style 16200 case

Before%201.jpg

Before%202.jpg

They then spend some time on a little CNC lathe I built and get the tops of the lugs machined to give them a thinner profile.  You notice the burr left side of the lug top.  All of these burrs have to be removed by hand with a file and sanding.

Case%201.jpg

Case%202.jpg

Case%203.jpg

After they come off the lathe they head to the mill where the lug get "ventilated.  I set up on the right, drill hole, rotate case 180 degrees and drill another hole.  When they are all done I set up on the left and repeat the process for the remainder of the holes.

Case%204.jpg

Case%205.jpg

When this is finished I finish de-burring the case, brush the lug tops, and it's ready for either a polished or aged finish.

Here is a comparison between the original and re-shaped cases.

Comparison.jpg

I hope this sheds a little light on the process.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, altesporsche said:

Used one of Justin's cases on my Space Dweller, amazing cases !

Agree. Justin’s cases are amazing. Hoping to complete more 1016 projects in 2018! 

4 hours ago, altesporsche said:

Used one of Justin's cases on my Space Dweller, amazing cases !

Agree. Justin’s cases are amazing. Hoping to complete more 1016 projects in 2018! 

• 2 weeks later...