When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Constellation Authenticity Help

mrsoundman

I’ve had this ~1960’s Omega Constellation for years now.  It’s been to numerous watch makers over the years for service and restoration (had the dial redone, case polished, etc about 10 years ago).  No one has ever mentioned that parts of this watch weren’t authentic, but with all the knowledge I’ve learned from RWG, RWI and RepGeek over the past year, I’m starting to wonder what I have here…  Curious of any of your thoughts, especially since I would like to sell this in the near future.

To my eyes, the second hand looks to be too short and upon closer inspection looks to have been cut short.

Vintage_Connie_1.thumb.jpg.efd2fefd26476bc1fbb2721c03a5645e.jpg

The crown looks genuine to me...

Vintage_Connie_2.thumb.jpg.08cbab1ffbbcf1bff24bfb6a5d2317b1.jpg

Here's a couple photos of the Genuine 561 movement:

Vintage_Connie_5.thumb.jpg.608a606d12bbeee806b0f0e68635b208.jpgVintage_Connie_6.thumb.jpg.13253116f6026e8b3ba3b76b4f9997ae.jpg

The case back looks genuine to me.  I've seen some bad fake versions on Google Images.  This looks much better than those.

Vintage_Connie_8.thumb.jpg.6fc17d3c85f07d8016c75e2c451f0817.jpg

This is where it gets interesting.  I believe the idiot who polished the case removed the factory swirls and did this brushed finish.  He almost removed the model number engravings (14900 SC-61).  The black sharpie is from my watchmakers recent service of the movement.  I don't believe the 14900 ever came with a 561 movement, so perhaps this an example of a replacement genuine case back?  This is the only major part (aside from the incorrect second hand) that is giving me pause about listing this as 100% genuine.

Vintage_Connie_7.thumb.jpg.170ead27481758fb487bca8add418a0b.jpg

I’m very fond of old Omegas and have a few. The 561 is a beautiful movement, I’ve always liked the rose gold finish and the shape of the rotor. The case back looks genuine to me, but wrong period. I would have expected a sixties model to have more of a 3D observatory and that centre piece in gold, but why the hell would someone refinish the inside? 

You are a man of great integrity, most would have no hesitation in banging that on eBay as all genuine  Old Connies are amazing value IMO

Thanks @Sogeha!  This was my very first mechanical watch purchase back in the day.  I saw that unmistakable rose gold movement and was hooked! 

I have no idea who polished the inside of the case back, I bought it in that condition.  Who knows what they were thinking.  :fool:

I've seen some 60's era Connies without the gold observatory logo, but I think you're right - this is clearly not the original case back.

I guess that over the last 40-50 years it's been through several services. Anyone of those could have switched the caseback - maybe the original was engraved as a gift and the next owner wanted it changing, who knows. It still looks good though.