When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone ever wonder...

automatico

...why vintage rolex Frankensteins are now a 'viable alternative' to the genuine article?

Maybe this has something to do with it:

Rolex Historic Restoration department

Has anyone dealt with Rolex Historic Restoration Department in Geneva? If so, any suggestions?

I need a dial for an early datejust, and I will be in Geneva at the end of the month. So, I called Rolex. I was told:
1) I can talk to the watchmaker at the front desk to verify that the watch is real (no big deal, as I know it is)
2) An ESTIMATE costs 1000 CHF ($1,000) - just for an estimate! (1000 CHF = $1000.03 USD)
3) Restoration will probably run between 15,000 and 30,000 CHF
And all I need is a DIAL - I don't want anything else to be touched.
I really had my heart set on having Rolex help me, but, honestly, for that much money, I can buy a mint early 4467 and pull the dial.

No Parts For You!

Q...Getting a GMT of mine serviced and my watchmaker has informed me that Rolex has stopped supplying GMT specific parts to parts account holders. Can anybody else confirm?

A1...Both Omega and Rolex have stopped supplying parts to third parties. Companies like Startime and Otto Frei no longer sell any Genuine parts. Both companies are also tightening up the parts supply chains to AD's and Private Watchmakers. They have closed the supply chain to many small watchmakers and AD's. Not all AD's and not all Privates, but the ability to get parts has become significantly more difficult in recent months and only going to get more difficult...

A 2...I am told no more movement parts for GMTs along with Daytona, Oysterquartz ,Sky Dweller or Yachmaster II.

For Sale:
A NOS never installed 1675 GMT tritium hand set. No corrosion or missing paste.
$775.00 shipped world wide

Up for sale tropic 22 Superdomed for Explorer 1016, Nos and sealed, $450.

Up for sale early pair of 50 endlinks for 1675 PCG GMT, Mint used conditions, $390.

Up for sale 1655 Explorer II Bezel, Service Type, Flawless, $490.-

FS: very nice faded MFF-insert for 1675. 5Up for sale is this nice faded MegaFatFont insert.
1. My price is 1800 EUR net to me, incl. worldwide shipping.
2. Faded Fat Font bezel for 1675 16750 - $1600

FS: Beautiful faded fat fonts Rolex GMT 1675 insert.
Asking $2,250 net by wire shipped worldwide.

FS : R O L E X 1675 GMT Date Wheel US $350.

A Rolex MK4 bezel and case back for Explorer II 1655. Both are in nice used condition.
BEZEL PRICE $750.00 shipped.  (case back sold, price deleted in listing)

FS: Cal.1520 Auto-Wind Module, Complete.

Near Mint. Recently serviced and in near-mint condition, this auto-wind module is fully functional and ready to be installed. $525, including domestic shipping in the US.

For sale is a Rolex 1520 movement. Very clean. Movement is complete except for one part (small part that clips the rotor on from the inside). Price is $790 Firm.

(not bad at all compared to the AW assembly alone...different sellers)

Genuine Rolex leather bracelet (strap) and 18k solid gold buckle - $700.

You are looking at a very rare set of ref #1019 milgauss hands. Beautiful mellow patina.
$2300.

FS: SuperLuminova Submariner 1680 Dial for sale.
PRICE: $990 with free US shipping.

FS: Mint 1016 tritium dial + hands - 1300 EUR shipped worldwide.

FS Rare Big Logo First type Oyster rivet 6636 SS ,12 link, bracelet marked 1.59 with 65 end link in good conditions!
My request is 4500 euro shipped WW.

I have for sale this rare early elastic(spring load)Rolex rivet bracelet from 1957(inside clasp stamped 4 57) with 65 end pieces. Just back from refinishing/polishing/tighten. 5+7 links in total. The links are tight, very nice overall.
Asking $5,000 by wire transfer. 

FS: Extra rare Rolex straight end Rivet bracelet from 1950.

19mm Rolex straight end spring load Rivet bracelet.
Asking $3,750 by wire shipped worldwide.

For sale is a 1969 7206 rivet bracelet. Price is $1,290 firm.

FS - rolex 7206 in straight ends

- 20mm, clasp in 67's
- 10 links with normal stretch
- $2800.

Rare 9315 rolex pat. pend bracelet, 11 links with limited stretch, end links in 285, specially for early 1665 mark 1/2 models.
70s on clasp code, offer $2900 include shipping.

All postings are from VRM, a few edits for clarity/typos, none on prices.  Italics are my comments.  :pimp:

23 minutes ago, automatico said:

...why vintage rolex Frankensteins are now a 'viable alternative' to the genuine article?

Maybe this has something to do with it:

Rolex Historic Restoration department

Has anyone dealt with Rolex Historic Restoration Department in Geneva? If so, any suggestions?

I need a dial for an early datejust, and I will be in Geneva at the end of the month. So, I called Rolex. I was told:
1) I can talk to the watchmaker at the front desk to verify that the watch is real (no big deal, as I know it is)
2) An ESTIMATE costs 1000 CHF ($1,000) - just for an estimate! (1000 CHF = $1000.03 USD)
3) Restoration will probably run between 15,000 and 30,000 CHF
And all I need is a DIAL - I don't want anything else to be touched.
I really had my heart set on having Rolex help me, but, honestly, for that much money, I can buy a mint early 4467 and pull the dial.

No Parts For You!

Q...Getting a GMT of mine serviced and my watchmaker has informed me that Rolex has stopped supplying GMT specific parts to parts account holders. Can anybody else confirm?

A1...Both Omega and Rolex have stopped supplying parts to third parties. Companies like Startime and Otto Frei no longer sell any Genuine parts. Both companies are also tightening up the parts supply chains to AD's and Private Watchmakers. They have closed the supply chain to many small watchmakers and AD's. Not all AD's and not all Privates, but the ability to get parts has become significantly more difficult in recent months and only going to get more difficult...

A 2...I am told no more movement parts for GMTs along with Daytona, Oysterquartz ,Sky Dweller or Yachmaster II.

For Sale:
A NOS never installed 1675 GMT tritium hand set. No corrosion or missing paste.
$775.00 shipped world wide

Up for sale tropic 22 Superdomed for Explorer 1016, Nos and sealed, $450.

Up for sale early pair of 50 endlinks for 1675 PCG GMT, Mint used conditions, $390.

Up for sale 1655 Explorer II Bezel, Service Type, Flawless, $490.-

FS: very nice faded MFF-insert for 1675. 5Up for sale is this nice faded MegaFatFont insert.
1. My price is 1800 EUR net to me, incl. worldwide shipping.
2. Faded Fat Font bezel for 1675 16750 - $1600

FS: Beautiful faded fat fonts Rolex GMT 1675 insert.
Asking $2,250 net by wire shipped worldwide.

FS : R O L E X 1675 GMT Date Wheel US $350.

A Rolex MK4 bezel and case back for Explorer II 1655. Both are in nice used condition.
BEZEL PRICE $750.00 shipped.  (case back sold, price deleted in listing)

FS: Cal.1520 Auto-Wind Module, Complete.

Near Mint. Recently serviced and in near-mint condition, this auto-wind module is fully functional and ready to be installed. $525, including domestic shipping in the US.

For sale is a Rolex 1520 movement. Very clean. Movement is complete except for one part (small part that clips the rotor on from the inside). Price is $790 Firm.

Genuine Rolex leather bracelet (strap) and 18k solid gold buckle - $700.

You are looking at a very rare set of ref #1019 milgauss hands. Beautiful mellow patina.
$2300.

FS: SuperLuminova Submariner 1680 Dial for sale.
PRICE: $990 with free US shipping.

FS: Mint 1016 tritium dial + hands - 1300 EUR shipped worldwide.

FS Rare Big Logo First type Oyster rivet 6636 SS ,12 link, bracelet marked 1.59 with 65 end link in good conditions!
My request is 4500 euro shipped WW.

I have for sale this rare early elastic(spring load)Rolex rivet bracelet from 1957(inside clasp stamped 4 57) with 65 end pieces. Just back from refinishing/polishing/tighten. 5+7 links in total. The links are tight, very nice overall.
Asking $5,000 by wire transfer. 

FS: Extra rare Rolex straight end Rivet bracelet from 1950.

19mm Rolex straight end spring load Rivet bracelet.
Asking $3,750 by wire shipped worldwide.

For sale is a 1969 7206 rivet bracelet. Price is $1,290 firm.

FS - rolex 7206 in straight ends

- 20mm, clasp in 67's
- 10 links with normal stretch
- $2800.

Rare 9315 rolex pat. pend bracelet, 11 links with limited stretch, end links in 285, specially for early 1665 mark 1/2 models.
70s on clasp code, offer $2900 include shipping.

All postings are from VRM, a few edits for clarity/typos, none on prices.  Italics are my comments.  :pimp:

...FS: Rolex 6239 Chronograph, excellent original condition, aftermarket leather band. $1,780,000...

Edited by Caci

5 hours ago, Caci said:

...FS: Rolex 6239 Chronograph, excellent original condition, aftermarket leather band. $1,780,000...

I think you missed a zero my friend. You also forgot to mention that there is some personalisation to the case back, which obviously detracts from the value?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nanuq said:

The really crazy thing is, some day in the not too distant future these prices will seem like bargains.

So true. But honestly I don't see the point in vintage Rolex anymore, prices are inflated to a point where buying a NOS crown or crystal becomes prohibitive. I have just finished my latest (and last) build and will from now on focus on modern gens (not Rolex exclusively, obviously). But there also you are confronted with ridiculous fees and servicing costs. I really believe things will only changes once younger buyers stop throwing cash at the swiss watch industry, so they are finally forced to focus on their customers rather than profits... 

Edited by wiesn089
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, automatico said:

that's not bad for a 1520, and I do need one.