When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lest we Forget

Nanuq

2 hours ago, XM195 said:

In Europe such way of thinking is so long gone...

You are soooooo Wrong. Just because we Europeans are all 'friends' again does not mean we do not remember or pay our respects. 

My Great Great Uncle died in WW1. My Grandfather fought in WW2. Today, at work, we commemorated Armistice Day. Everyone stopped work at 11:00am for 2 minutes silence. 

Having served in the armed forces with people who have lost friends and  comrades in conflicts, I feel duty bound to speak on their behalf. 

Today I watched Black Adder 4 - a (very) British comedy about WW1. Even that brought a tear to my eye. 

• Like 3

On one of my regular peregrinations to Poland my tight-fistedness came to the fore and I decided to avoid the motorway through Normandy and take the backroads. Passing war cemetery after war cemetery after war cemetery was actually quite heartbreaking.

And don’t even get me started on the number of combat vets on the streets. It is an outrage 

I had a chance this year to spend some late nights talking with my dad about his service in Korea. He never talked about it much before. Now I know why. He talked about Chosin Reservoir and how they won several Presidential Unit Citations. I've always sent him "thanks for your service" emails and nice pictures on this day, but now those seem pretty hollow. Those boys are made of pretty stern stuff.

01cae44a142720a4d577d78dc4410355.jpg

A salute to the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Coast Guard and all Forces who swore an oath to serve and protect the Constitution.

As global citizens let us do the same, take some time to read the Preamble and remember the ones who have made the ultimate sacrifice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2