When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nostalgia...

automatico

Found this internet forum 'For Sale' ad (can't remember which forum) from March 7, 2000 when looking up my WLD deal info:

"A watchmaker friend of mine has about 50 or so empty Rolex watch cases.  The movements were gutted for Hong Kong made all gold Presidents.  Most of the cases are ref 15000.  If you email me with what cases you are looking for, I can try to see if he has it & then email you back with info.  I will only choose good quality cases.  I can have them buffed for $30 each.  I would sell these for around $120 to $150 buffed.  The  cases come with bezel & crown & crystal."

I bought some cases for similar prices around this time at watch shows (w/bezel, crystal, no crown) but I got 162xx DJ type.  The watch buyer/case seller guys used the base movement (either 3035 or 3135) and converted them to Day/Date models using non genuine (China made?) DD conversions and dials.  I saw some of them for sale at watch shows and they looked pretty good. They went for $4000 and up depending on the bezel and dial.  Similar watches with ETA 2834 were $2000 to $2500 at the time.  Gold was around $270 per troy oz in 2000.

I bought a steel sapphire lady DJ case from a case seller on the 'net back then and the case was $80 for a quick set model with bezel, sapphire crystal, no crown...delivered.  The first case was not as good as described and the guy said to keep it and sent me another one (free) that looked like new...a two-fer.  They were making 18k lady models too.  Lady 18kyg rolex watches always looked to me like a quartz lady Seiko.  Ladies would probably be better off with a Seiko because it will still be running the next morning...but it ain't a ro-lex.  Ha! 

Never had much luck with lady rolex watches. 

How come?

'Cause there ain't enough rotor to crank the motor.   :pimp:

I bought my wife a gen Tudor Princess and she can't wear it!  I can have it running on the bench for days and it keeps perfect time, and I've even put in a different movement with no luck.  Her Bulova quartz runs flawlessly...