When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement stops .. and then starts again after a while

bjarneb

Question

I bought a AD Royal Oak on a shopping mall in Malaysia a while ago. A beauteful peace of art actually, and I payed $600 for it. The seller claimed it was from JF factory.

I have a problem though. I goes like a charm for some days but suddenly it stop. Makes no difference if I wind it manually or shake it like if I was epileptic. Then suddenly it starts working again after several hours. Not too keen to take it to a watch dealer here since it is obviously is a fake watch. But will do if that is the only solution to make it work fine since it is way too cool to throw away. What would a wise man do?

ad.jpg

11 answers to this question

6 hours ago, bjarneb said:

So this is not something a watchsmith would be able to fix fast and easy? It is basicaly a bad movement?

It can be fixed. SSTEEL has mine with the same movement. Send it to him and he'll fix it for you. 

• Like 1

You’ve got a JF watch apparently yes that’s true.

The issue like my betters above have pointed out is the A7750 sec@12 movement. It can be a problematic movement due to the accumulated friction in the transfer gears and the possible lack of lubrication in the friction areas.
The movement has indeed gotten better in the hobby in the recent years and are fairly decent. Yours could be a piece with poor lubrication or dirt in it. Yes the design of the movement isn’t ideal but there are ways to overcome it by service and proper lubrication, using an extra jewel or a better mainspring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thanks alot for the recommendation of using SSTEEL !!

He has fixed the watch now and the whole process was such a good experience that I almost hope it breaks down again so I can use his services one more time :)
Thumbs up for an extremly service minded and great watchsmith!

• Like 1