When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

(Rolex related) My first build : Tudor Prince

lorenzo1910

Hello all,

I'm going to show you my first build (or, better...assembly) that has been very easy (only effort was to source the parts) and very rewarding...

Googling for watch parts I stumbled in "Raffles Dials" that has some ice cases and dials and hands (I say "some" because some sellers have a larger choice...)

The price was right (cheap) and the quality was looking good (even a good picture can't tell anything about the "feel" of a well polished case or the "real life" detail of a dial...) so I pulled the trigger for :

1) TUDOR SIGNED VINTAGE STYLE OF 34MM STAINLESS STEEL PRINCE WATCH CASE WITH SMOOTH BEZEL AND 19MM LUGS SIZE FIT ETA 2824 MOVEMENT (First pic)

2) 27MM SILVER DIAL MARKED TUDOR LOGO WITH SILVER STICKS AND DATE WINDOW FIT ETA 2836 OR 2824 MOVEMENT FOR MENS STEEL PRINCE DATE WATCH (2nd pic)

3) ONE SET OF SILVER TUDOR PRINCE WATCH HANDS WITH LUMINOVA FIT ETA 2836 OR 2824 FOR MENS 34MM WATCH (3rd pic)

As said before the price was good as I paid the whole set a little less than 81 USD... (with a little discount from Ken)

But I was still in the need of a movement... Since I don't like the look of the cheaper Asian 2824 I went for a better look clone (although the solid case back)... Look at the pics #5... isn't it a beauty? That was 87 USD shipped (bought on eBay)...

Now what? I can't assemble the watch myself! (Never done before and I have no tools at all!)

Solution? : Bring the whole package to the Watchsmith...

He said it was a very easy task (everything were fitting and there was no needs for additional spare parts...) and he was asking a very little money so I bought a nice Blue Croc Strap (Morellato) from him.

The Pics from 6 to 12 show the final result...

It looks a really nice watch although a minor flaw... (the date window is a bit off center)

All in all it has been funny to choose the dial,the bezel,the movement...

I will do it again (..next time it will be SS and Gold...)

Thank you for reading this and thank you Ken (RafflesDials)... You have acquired another happy customer! :notworthy:

P.S. Sorry, I don't know how post pictures between the text lines... :huh:

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A5.jpg

A6.jpg

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice, good job.  A Prince Date is probably the best build for a "greenhorn" to tackle as there are rarely any surprises and you learn how things are supposed to fit together.

• Like 1

Many thanks jmb!

I think my build will be made by what I can find on the market... modding is not my goal, I don't have any tool nor much time and, most of all, not enough knowledge to what to do and why (Coupling guard size and shape? Hands size and/or colour?...)

But I like to think how to mix dials and hands to make a watch (MY watch) that I can proudly wear...

24 minutes ago, JSebWC said:

That turned out great and looks very Gen like!  Nice work!

Indeed... If I compare it with my gen Rolex 1601 I can't see much difference... Furthermore, the watch looks much better in the real life than in the pictures...

• 4 weeks later...