When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new DG2813 still runs 3 minutes/day slow

Timelord

I have just received a NEW movement a few days ago which ran 3 minutes slow per day.  I have bought from this place several times without a problem. I have successfully regulated many etas and even old omegas with plenty of patience, but this new DG2813 has been a real let down.  I have read plenty of threads on this forum and on others on how they are regulated and overall they have been looked upon as good reliable and accurate workhorses for what they are.

I have very slightly  moved the regulator arm (with  the 2 dots) and after 48 hours it is the same 3 minutes slow per day.  I then shifted the arm twice the distance in the same direction but again no change in being slow.  Has anyone ever experienced this??  I was thinking if returning it but I did not want to end up with egg on my face n the event that I may be missing something here.  Maybe it is  dud or perhaps I am expecting too much since I am used to the etas?  vey disappointed!!!!! 

If you want accuracy out of any movement, then buy a better quality movement such as an ETA, Sellita, or Asian ETA clone, all you would need to do is change the hands, and dial, the latter you could simply remove the 21J dial feet positions with the correct equipment.

2 hours ago, SSTEEL said:

If you want accuracy out of any movement, then buy a better quality movement such as an ETA, Sellita, or Asian ETA clone, all you would need to do is change the hands, and dial, the latter you could simply remove the 21J dial feet positions with the correct equipment.

Thanks!!!  I knew all that.  I have a yacht master dial with feet positioning for this movement and have searched without success for a yacht master dial to fit an eta.  As for glueing feet in different positions, I have had temporary success  unless one has the right tools for the job.  For a one off job it defeats the purpose of buying one if these machines unless in the profession of watchmaking.  I don't want 100% accuracy for the dg2813, but to adjust as best as possible for a mvt of this quality.

On 27 November 2017 at 8:49 PM, Timelord said:

I  have a yacht master dial with feet positioning for this movement and have searched without success for a yacht master dial to fit an eta.  As for glueing feet in different positions, I have had temporary success  unless one has the right tools for the job.  For a one off job it defeats the purpose of buying one if these machines unless in the profession of watchmaking.  I don't want 100% accuracy for the dg2813, but to adjust as best as possible for a mvt of this quality.

Replacing it with an eta may not be that simple!!  If your case was made for a DG3804 movement, then because of the difference in movement.thickness you may run into  problems as the eta is slightly thinner and stem hole may not line up with stem.  Similar problem with interchanging a 2824 and a 2836 in same case!!

As for regulating the DG movement, I did not have this problem as somehow it was already regulated!!  Possibly a fluke!!

Maybe a watchmaker could regulate it- it shouldn't cost much- takes less than 5 minutes.

Plan B is buy another dg2813 and hope to have better luck- swap out the old one with the new. Might have to swap over the DWO if the watch has one.

2813s are hit or miss, but lately I've good luck with a few of them. But as ssteel says, if it's an important watch, get a better movement.

15 hours ago, alligoat said:

Maybe a watchmaker could regulate it- it shouldn't cost much- takes less than 5 minutes.

You must be kidding!!!!   Here every watch technician in town won't even look at a replica, let alone touch one.  " throw it in the trash can" is the typical response. I bought an MBW from a forum member some years ago, paying big $$$$ and somehow the yoke got out of place - stuck in the winding position.  I took it into a  reputable watchmaker long before I was able to do it myself.  He was hitting it on side if his workbench hoping to put it in line that way until I asked him to stop.  He advised me that it was cheaper to return to Chinatown an buy another one for $5.  I then bought a sterile dial just to temporarily replace it so that some other watch smith did not discriminate against it and had the problem rectified this way.  

The  other problem is that they always use the same catch  phrase even for a new movement "If it is losing time it's because it needs a service"

15 hours ago, alligoat said:

2813s are hit or miss, but lately I've good luck with a few of them. 

I would have got an eta if I had the right dial, but the dial feet were made for the DG movement and NO I will not muck around repositioning the dial feet and playing with epoxy as I have had short lived solution.  That is why I bought a new DG as opposed to ones that were already used, but In my opinion, from each one I have seen, they are utter junk. They are assembled in some unclean slave sweatshop near the south china sea!

5 hours ago, Timelord said:

I then bought a sterile dial just to temporarily replace it so that some other watch smith did not discriminate against it and had the problem rectified this way.  

^^This. If you can at least remove the movement from the watch your chances of a watch shop's help goes up dramatically...

B

So you haven't found a decent watchmaker! You might try around here and on some of the other rep forums. I don't know where you're located, or I could offer some suggestions. Ssteel could probably help you out.

BTW, we don't even know what kind of watch you have. And if you're upset with the DG2813s, you need to get over your dial feet hang-up and get an eta- quit limiting yourself- it will only leave you frustrated.  

14 hours ago, alligoat said:

So you haven't found a decent watchmaker! You might try around here and on some of the other rep forums. I don't know where you're located, or I could offer some suggestions. Ssteel could probably help you out.

BTW, we don't even know what kind of watch you have. And if you're upset with the DG2813s, you need to get over your dial feet hang-up and get an eta- quit limiting yourself- it will only leave you frustrated.  

There are plenty of skilled watchmakers here in New Zealand.  They just discriminate against replicas.I have a yacht master replica that originally came with a dg2813.  It was a dry movement as it stopped after six months, so I purchased a new replacement. Have an eta and was looking for a yacht master dial for the eta with no luck.  I am not really heartbroken about it, just disappointed.  At the very worst most dealers recommended on this forum always have great deals on new ones, but before I went on that road I was exploring other options.

14 hours ago, bobandshawn said:

^^This. If you can at least remove the movement from the watch your chances of a watch shop's help goes up dramatically...

B

Better idea  than bringing whole watch,in as at least they know it is new and  won't use their typical punch line "it needs a

service"

UPDATE !

Genlemen, I thought that I would fill you in on what caused the problem with my DG2813.  As it was a dud, I considered in giving it an autopsy, since it wasn't going to be used.  Again  another learning experience, which makes this hobby so rewarding.  

There were two problems with it.  

(1). It was dry like a desert summer without any oil which surprised me how it was still running and still is after reassembling it 

(2 ) I checked the balance assembly and regulator and surprise surprise, the regulator arm and hairspring were detached,so no matter how far left or right I moved the arm, I was always moving in first gear regardless   It is so damn small that it is near impossible to photograph it.  It was very clever how this was covered up as it seems glued just under the tip just to make it swing.

Edited by Timelord