When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Easy way of putting a date wheel overlay

horologist

Greetings friends,

following to one of my previous threads regarding to finding a movement for dial feet which were for a DG movement, I had to overcome just one more hurdle.  I needed a datewheel overlay.  That was the easy part, but having failed putting one on an eta, I considered in finding a way on not stuffing up again.

While I was using blu tack to hang up a poster, it struck me to try out an experiment.  I got my 3c tweezer and started pulling some very fine strands of blu tack fibers.  I then  placed some on the original datewheel, enough to grip the DWO, followed by placing the dial over it to see how it lined up.  I then rotated the rapid date change until I saw some figures out of line.  If out of line, I removed the dial and slowly turned the datewheel to get them right.  Once achieved, I marked out with a very fine permanent marker on the edge of the DWO  to the edge of the original date wheel.  

I then removed the DWO with the blu tack and put 4 tiny dots of superglue with an old oiler just enough to hold on.  This makes it easy for later when removing it again for when doing further repairs or servicing . I then matched the markers with the two overlapping date wheels and placed the dial back on again.  I repeated the rapid date Change to make sure it still lined up and presto it s on.   If you are not confident with removing the DWO once you have placed it on the blue tack, you can leave it on I and  just put tiny dabs of superglue on the edges of the two overlapping datewheels.  Hope this may be of use to someone!!!

Edited by horologist
Spelling errors
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greetings friends,

following to one of my previous threads regarding to finding a movement for dial feet which were for a DG movement, I had to overcome just one more hurdle.  I needed a datewheel overlay.  That was the easy part, but having failed putting one on an eta, I considered in finding a way on not stuffing up again.

While I was using blu tack to hang up a poster, it struck me to try out an experiment.  I got my 3c tweezer and started pulling some very fine strands of blu tack fibers.  I then  placed some on the original datewheel, enough to grip the DWO, followed by placing the dial over it to see how it lined up.  I then rotated the rapid date change until I saw some figures out of line.  If out of line, I removed the dial and slowly turned the datewheel to get them right.  Once achieved, I marked out with a very fine permanent marker on the edge of the DWO  to the edge of the original date wheel.  

I then removed the DWO with the blu tack and put 4 tiny dots of superglue with an old oiler just enough to hold on.  This makes it easy for later when removing it again for when doing further repairs or servicing . I then matched the markers with the two overlapping date wheels and placed the dial back on again.  I repeated the rapid date Change to make sure it still lined up and presto it s on.   If you are not confident with removing the DWO once you have placed it on the blue tack, you can leave it on I and  just put tiny dabs of superglue on the edges of the two overlapping datewheels.  Hope this may be of use to someone!!!

Excellent tip! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8 December 2017 at 1:20 AM, horologist said:

Greetings friends,

Wow!!

how ingenious!,,  just the answer I have been looking for since I ever got into this hobby!!   Very clever indeed!!   Thanks for sharing!!

Edited by Timelord

1 hour ago, ceejay said:

Couple of thoughts...

I wouldn't leave blu-tack on the date wheel overlay. It contains oil that could eventually stain the over lay.

Instead of superglue, use a 5 minute epoxy. It will give you a bit of manipulation to line up ;) 

Hi 

and thanks for that.  I don't put blue tack on top of the DWO itself, but 2 or 3 very fine strands (or should I say fibre thin) underneath the DWO metal shiny part and place it directly onto the movement  datewheel.  It is more  to just hold it in place so that I can manipulate it while placing the dial over it while turning the quickset to make sure digits are all showing evenly in the date window of the dial.  Once I am happy with this, I remove dial and mark with a fine marker of both mating DWO & date wheel so that I can remove the blue tack and match them after putting 4 small dots of adhesive so that it is easy to remove at service time. Just like dummy shaft like when replacing the clutch in the car.  There isn't enough blue tack to be seen without a loupe, and if left there, it is between the DWO and the datewheel of the mvt.  The silver metal piece should hopefully be of some protection. I have tried slow setting epoxy but I wasn't good at the results.  My lack of skills was the problem!

Edited by horologist
Missing full stop