When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this 6263 a suitable base for modding?

Revere

The 6263 in question:

https://puretime05.com/daytona-6263-ss-white-black-dial-black-tachymeter-bezel-on-ss-bracelet-venus-75.html#

The goal would be to replace the dial and hands, for starters.

Does this watch take gen-spec diameter dials & does it have the same hand dimensions as gen? Some quick searches did not turn up this info but I apologize if I have missed it somewhere.

Thank you in advance.

Ooh, truthfully that is a bit of a bummer because I am looking to make a slightly higher end type of watch and I am a little anal about things like subdial position. 

I think I will save my pennies for a higher end build with a V72 or maybe build a nice 5 digit Daytona. It's a shame a proper 5 digit Daytona rep does not exist.

Thank you for the information.

A while back Chiman did something with a Venus 75 movement and dial. As I recall, if you get a better dial, you'll have to modify the movement- move the 6 o'clock post which is fixed anyway up or down slightly. Someone did put better subdial hands on the Venus 75, but I don't know where they came from- might have been over at RWI that I read that post.

Of course, building a 6263 with a V72 isn't cheap or easy either. Don't know about the Yuki cases, maybe they're cheaper than a Phong. The dials are around $186-200 and other parts are available. V72s run at least $1K these days and $200-300 for a service. Maybe you could build a V-72 for $2K or 2500.

Yuki is far cheaper than phong or MQ. Just a phong case costs over 1000$, dials 750$,hands 200$... yuki is a good alternative. V72 is over 1500, plus modification to 727 , plus service.. about 2500$. There was an excellent post from TheSociety in the RWI-forum about modifying a 6263. He is really a master. He talked about 8000$ to get a good 6263 based on phong and V72.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Revere said:

The 6263 in question:

https://puretime05.com/daytona-6263-ss-white-black-dial-black-tachymeter-bezel-on-ss-bracelet-venus-75.html#

Does this watch take gen-spec diameter dials & does it have the same hand dimensions as gen? Some quick searches did not turn up this info but I apologize if I have missed it somewhere.

Thank you in advance.

this will walk you through fitting a gen spec dial. A lot is achievable if you have the skills. Take a look at rolojacks and slays posts to see what’s possible with a cartel base. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuperDanX said:

this will walk you through fitting a gen spec dial. A lot is achievable if you have the skills. Take a look at rolojacks and slays posts to see what’s possible with a cartel base. 

Ooh, that's a pretty great post, thank you for sharing that. That doesn't seem that bad at all truthfully, it completely changes my opinion of the build.

I suppose a vietnam dial is probably the best/most bang-for-buck vintage Daytona dial you can get nowadays; is that correct?

Edited by Revere

15 minutes ago, Revere said:

Ooh, that's a pretty great post, thank you for sharing that. That doesn't seem that bad at all truthfully, it completely changes my opinion of the build.

I suppose a vietnam dial is probably the best/most bang-for-buck vintage Daytona dial you can get nowadays; is that correct?

Yes but some are better than others. 

6430688c314ac1e1f193f5c12b38126b.jpg
Both based on cartel case and venus mvmt. Best you can get without going the v72 road but still not dirt cheap. Good vn dials with gen crown cost 300+ and to machine a vn bezel to fit the cartel case is another story I currently have 2 v72 and 2 more in the making but also wear the venus very often :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Really nice. For our benfit what part of the vn bezel needs to be machined? I read this a lot but it’s never very specific. Also which dealer did you get those dial from if you don’t mind sharing? 

19 minutes ago, sputim said:

6430688c314ac1e1f193f5c12b38126b.jpg
Both based on cartel case and venus mvmt. Best you can get without going the v72 road but still not dirt cheap. Good vn dials with gen crown cost 300+ and to machine a vn bezel to fit the cartel case is another storyemoji849.png I currently have 2 v72 and 2 more in the making but also wear the venus very often :)

Edited by SuperDanX

6430688c314ac1e1f193f5c12b38126b.jpg&key=5c418ff21a789632c853bd8ada1ac186f03eb82c21c652e20cc92c20072a3e1d
Both based on cartel case and venus mvmt. Best you can get without going the v72 road but still not dirt cheap. Good vn dials with gen crown cost 300+ and to machine a vn bezel to fit the cartel case is another story I currently have 2 v72 and 2 more in the making but also wear the venus very often

Nice!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

10 hours ago, newswire said:

Pricing for a “vietnam” case and dial is all over the place. (Almost 3x difference in some case) Don’t get ripped off. Do research and shop around.

Agreed prices and dealers can be found searching at the forum, no mystery part dealers with "extra good quality" for $200 more, here is the way to go:

1.-Study your prefered model (reference, size, color, material)

2.-Search within the forums for those parts

3.-buy all once you know as much as possible about parts

this will save tremendous amount of time and money, this magnificent forum have several threads with build details from several members around, check those too!

P.S. sometimes its better to hunt for a watch already built if you dont have all the tools/skills/practice needed to build a high end rep.

Really nice. For our benfit what part of the vn bezel needs to be machined? I read this a lot but it’s never very specific. Also which dealer did you get those dial from if you don’t mind sharing? 

For your reference. But I haven’t success

08363a49eea0ddf2a873405cac388d54.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 2017/12/29 at 2:26 AM, Revere said:

The 6263 in question:

Thank you in advance.

The problem with recent batch of this cartel 6263, they all have upside down 571 stamps on endlink pieces.  Unless Angus has some old stock that you may wanna have him check.

On 2017/12/29 at 2:26 AM, Revere said: