When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob sub Q

DonDucker

Question

Sorry I am new to all of this but have been doing my research in the forums.

As a nob I still can’t wrap my head around some things..

lookin for a Rolex Sub date Ceramic. 

My understanding is that the noob is the best rep of this gen?

i have had a look at some pictures and they look really good.. I understand that there is no 100% Rep.

but what is different on the noob’s from the gen apart from the “inner workings” I’m guessing materials used.. but visually what are the differences that give the noob away as a rep? 

23 answers to this question

Yikes. Someone could write pages answering that and not scratch the surface. Best thing to do is read, look at pictures and read some more. It will take time but in the end you'll know everything about your new pride and joy. There's satisfaction in that.

• Like 1

You asked a similar question here: 

Be patient.  Keep reading.  It takes time.  Lots of time to learn all this stuff.  And then some more time.   It really can't be answered in one post, especially because different things are important to differnet people--SEL, movement, hands, dial, crown, case, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks for all your feedback. 

I will keep reading..

but you are saying that there are clear differences in the arms, bezel and dial that “give the watch away”.

Is this more a case of “be proud of your rep for what it is a rep” instead of “how passable is my rep compared to the gen” ???

Can anyone tell me what Sub rep is depicted in this video? 

3 hours ago, PlanetZoom said:

As you can see from this video, with a really good rep, 99.9% of people will not be able to tell the difference between the rep and a gen. 

The rep in the video is this considered a 99.9% rep? I mean would this be the top end of reps on the market?

And can anyone name the rep in the video?

4 hours ago, DonDucker said:

The rep in the video is this considered a 99.9% rep? I mean would this be the top end of reps on the market?

Oh geez, that is now what I meant.  I meant most people can't identify a rep on the wrist unless it is a really bad rep.  If it is a good rep, 99.9% (or more) of people won't know it is a rep on the wrist.  I did not mean to imply that replica was 99.9% close to gen.  Putting a percentage on how close a rep is to gen is purely subjective. The video points out some of the flaws.  None of the reps off the shelf are perfect. Some are better, some are worse.  Some people spend many hundreds, and even into the thousands, of dollars creating 'Franken versions of reps that are much closer to gen but still not 100% gen.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PlanetZoom said:

Oh geez, that is now what I meant.  I meant most people can't identify a rep on the wrist unless it is a really bad rep.  If it is a good rep, 99.9% (or more) of people won't know it is a rep on the wrist.  I did not mean to imply that replica was 99.9% close to gen.  Putting a percentage on how close a rep is to gen is purely subjective. The video points out some of the flaws.  None of the reps off the shelf are perfect. Some are better, some are worse.  Some people spend many hundreds, and even into the thousands, of dollars creating 'Franken versions of reps that are much closer to gen but still not 100% gen.  

In your opinion what is considered the best SubC Rep at the moment? 

In your opinion what is considered the best SubC Rep at the moment? 

Mate the best one is the one YOU can live with which flaws

Lets see

Do you want 3135 rep movement and case or would you be content with a 2836 eta clone.

Better dial with worse case

Better case with worse dial

Better insert and pearl vs better SEL fitment

What about crystal

How about those crowngaurds

Based on your knowledge shown it doesn't matter which on you get as long as it isn't a canal st junker

Most hated question on all rep forums?

Your question

Who has the best sub

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, DonDucker said:

Hard to say without the installed bracelet, for me it's Noob v5 or v6.

• Like 1

Nobody can tell man. 

Buy this one - it's unique and cool

https://puretime05.com/submariner-16610-lv-green-no-rehaut-engraving-jf-1-1-best-edition-on-ss-bracelet-sh3135.html

If you want better than that, you're getting into franken territory, like a Sean case, gen dial, bezel etc... I had one for sale recently, sold for $2,000 with a gen bracelet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xj4sonx said:

Mate the best one is the one YOU can live with which flaws

Lets see

Do you want 3135 rep movement and case or would you be content with a 2836 eta clone.

Better dial with worse case

Better case with worse dial

Better insert and pearl vs better SEL fitment

What about crystal

How about those crowngaurds

Based on your knowledge shown it doesn't matter which on you get as long as it isn't a canal st junker

Most hated question on all rep forums?

Your question

Who has the best sub

Xj43574sonX you silly goose...

I don’t know what gave you that impression.

I get it you know allot about watches and slightly up yourself. You are right though I do not know allot about watches. I do however have extensive expertise in sound engineering and I frequent allot of the producer sound eng forums. Where allot of kids and ppl ask questions like “what’s that magic button to make my record sound like a major release” ....there is obviously no such thing but there is a path to start to understand how a major record sounds the way it does. I lead them on that path what I don’t do is act like a [censored] I leave that to those producers who “think” they know allot but have accomplished very little.

I understand it’s not such a simple Q to answer however by doing a bit of research it seams like a few years ago there was a big rave about the WM9. If that’s the case then it’s not so far fetched to think that there would have been a replacement over time. There usually is a product on the market that stands out from the comp. Another good indication is what is everyone else doing? 

These are all questions anyone looking into purchasing their first rep would be asking. 

Maybe there should be a Q&A sticky post where these common questions are answered and kept up to date. 

Xj43574sonX you silly goose...

I don’t know what gave you that impression.

I get it you know allot about watches and slightly up yourself. You are right though I do not know allot about watches. I do however have extensive expertise in sound engineering and I frequent allot of the producer sound eng forums. Where allot of kids and ppl ask questions like “what’s that magic button to make my record sound like a major release” ....there is obviously no such thing but there is a path to start to understand how a major record sounds the way it does. I lead them on that path what I don’t do is act like a [censored] I leave that to those producers who “think” they know allot but have accomplished very little.

I understand it’s not such a simple Q to answer however by doing a bit of research it seams like a few years ago there was a big rave about the WM9. If that’s the case then it’s not so far fetched to think that there would have been a replacement over time. There usually is a product on the market that stands out from the comp. Another good indication is what is everyone else doing? 
These are all questions anyone looking into purchasing their first rep would be asking. 
Maybe there should be a Q&A sticky post where these common questions are answered and kept up to date. 
Again your research skills have left you stranded

The wm9 and the watch you seek are not even of the same reference

Nobody had taken the subC on to the level personal modders ect have of the 5 digit.

However BK would get you a noob model with his mods to make it a little better than stock

You're welcome

2 hours ago, xj4sonx said:

Again your research skills have left you stranded

The wm9 and the watch you seek are not even of the same reference

Nobody had taken the subC on to the level personal modders ect have of the 5 digit.

However BK would get you a noob model with his mods to make it a little better than stock

You're welcome

By 5 digit do you mean the Explorer II an the “Kermit”?

were these two particular models more successful in the attempt to liken the gen over other models?

with the BK mod of the noob does it bring it closer to the 5 digit in as in being passable as a gen?

i like the Kermit and might consider it, but my heart was set on the subc. And I might start to explore the possibilities of a frank. In you opinion what parts are most important to be swapped out. Or what alterations should I consider? 

Sorry to be naive but what is TC and who are m2m?
Are you trolling me?
The subC is a 6. Digit reference sub.
No 6. Digit sub had been taken on my the factories to produce at the level of the 5. Digit versions from say TW TC or WM9

The best you can do if buying and not spending money to mod it yourself is a noon from BK.
Passible as gen shouldn't be something you are attempting to do

1 hour ago, xj4sonx said:

Are you trolling me?
The subC is a 6. Digit reference sub.
No 6. Digit sub had been taken on my the factories to produce at the level of the 5. Digit versions from say TW TC or WM9

The best you can do if buying and not spending money to mod it yourself is a noon from BK.
Passible as gen shouldn't be something you are attempting to do

Not Trolling 

4 hours ago, 508-Fanatic said:

Nobody can tell man. 

Buy this one - it's unique and cool

https://puretime05.com/submariner-16610-lv-green-no-rehaut-engraving-jf-1-1-best-edition-on-ss-bracelet-sh3135.html

If you want better than that, you're getting into franken territory, like a Sean case, gen dial, bezel etc... I had one for sale recently, sold for $2,000 with a gen bracelet. 

I hear you.. I’m actually considering going down the Franken rabbit hole ?

would you you care to be more specific in what exact part you think I should be looking at swapping out on a noob?

you mentioned a Sean case, is that for SubC? 

2 hours ago, 508-Fanatic said:

Good call on BK - fixes up a lot of factory flaws, but idk if he has ceramic's

Do you know what noob version  BK uses?

28 minutes ago, DonDucker said:

I hear you.. I’m actually considering going down the Franken rabbit hole ?

would you you care to be more specific in what exact part you think I should be looking at swapping out on a noob?

you mentioned a Sean case, is that for SubC? 

Do you know what noob version  BK uses?

My 16610, non-ceramic was:
•    Sean M series mid-case (reshaped lughorns for a nice fit with the gen SEL, chamfered and polished by Omega)
•    TC case-back
•    Sean bezel and crystal retainer ring (reworked by Domi for perfect pressure fit with insert/and gen parts)
•    Gen washer and click-spring for the bezel
•    Gen 93250 SEL bracelet (new in 2015 from AD, with invoice/receipts from the AD)
•    Gen LEC crystal w/o AR
•    Gen NOS LN bezel insert
•    Gen 703 tube
•    Gen 704 crown
•    Gen hands
•    Gen M series dial
•    Gen date disc
•    Watch was put together, adjusted and pressure-tested by Domi

The Yuki 3135 (complete service by our illustrious Misiekped and franken'd with following:
•    Genuine Rolex 2 x setting wheels
•    Genuine Rolex 2 x reversing wheels
•    Genuine Rolex winding wheel
•    Genuine Rolex sliding pinion

All in all that's a few thousand bucks right there....

If you want to get a great watch get this, don't get into the franken game until you have more experience - you'll spend too much.

• Like 1