When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1016 Space-Dweller

rolojack

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It started as a JMB v1 indeed. But there are several operations to transform it like that: shaving of the rear side, cutting of the groove and shaping of the caseback seat. All done with proper equipment. There are few to none exact 1016 cases out there !!! The 1016 has a very specific shape. Not similar to a DJ at all.

Outstanding job!

"But there are several operations to transform it like that: shaving of the rear side, cutting of the groove and shaping of the case back seat."

For anyone needing to tell at a glance if a 1016 case is genuine (or a very good copy), look for the slight groove around the case where the case back seats as noted by Rolojack.  Since it is hard to duplicate, not many replicas or Frankensteins will have it.  No guarantees though.

Here is a picture showing the groove in a 1960 model along with the '4th grader' lettering on the case band, original brass reversers, and butterfly rotor weight:

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/j0ngylog/1960-rolex-explorer-1-1016-3748

No telling how much someone paid for this watch but a 1016 of this year model and in the same condition would have been around $1000/$1500 25 years ago. 

Now they are $10k to $20k!  Imho this is a good reason to stick one together with a JMB etc case and Eta for an everyday watch.

Another reason...you see dozens of 'bezel watches' (submariners) here and there but almost never a 1016. 

What's the down side?

They look like Air Kings.  :wacko:

"The 1560 mvmt is a pleasant surprise!!

Yes it is. 

I have most of the parts to put one together but can not find a suitable case.  Thought about having a genuine 162xx case modified and re-lettered but do not have the right connections.  Have a couple 162xx cases with lug holes and since they were made for a 3135, a no date 1560/70 will fit right in one.  The dial seat is the right size for a 1016 dial and the groove for the case back gasket is cut in the case like a 1016.  Also have a couple nos tritium dials and hand sets plus crowns, crystals etc.  The case would need the lug tops (aka 'shoulders') thinned down, the groove cut around the back of the case like 1016 cases, a bezel cut for a 25-22 crystal, and new numbers/letters.  Finding a properly stamped case back would also be a problem.

Another catch...my 1570 no hack movement has the letter 'D' at the beginning of the serial number and the 'D' means it was originally a Date movement.

I've had the parts for 20+ years,  They were just gathered up as 'parts' and not intended for a '1016' project but now the 1016 is Hot.  

Should have bought a 1016 back then.

...and a 6263 or two.

Passed on a 6263 all apart but complete for $1600 waaay back.  :cry:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Drummania said:

Dumb question... I don't actually see how the case differs from 16000 DJ case except for the lug holes. Does anyone have a side profile comparison picture?

LHOOQ did one a while back.

https://rwg.cc/topic/134440-1016-explorer-frankens-why-not-a-16000-case/

Edited by tomhorn

6 hours ago, tomhorn said:

I've seen this old post, but does the pictures load for you?

Anyways, I am able to find two straight side profile shot of 1016. It's now clear to me that the main difference of 16000 case vs 1016 is the bottom side, where 1016 is flatter and more like a trapezoid, and 16000 is curved like a banana.

image.thumb.png.7195a6acfbf3c1b5d2e05ebbb6e6b69f.pngimage.thumb.png.e332df4029622a7e88620d003b9fb8d2.png