When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cheap Noob Seadweller

spazthecat

I’m in the market for something relatively cheap and was leaning towards a Regmariner but then I came across a Noob Seadweller on Toro’s site for $138

http://www.tb-2018.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1419

Just wondering if anyone has one and what they think? Seems like it can’t be all that bad and the price is right.

Thanks,

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A decent Rolex rep these days, in general, cost something between $250 and $400+. 

A $138 Rolex will either be a special promotion piece, or in your case, one with a lower grade movement like the A2813.

Yes visually it isn't bad for what it is but bear in mind that if you need to repair or service the watch movement, be prepared to spend $100 more at least, which will bring the watch cost to the start of the price region specified by me above, and almost a doubling of the watch cost for you.

So think if you wish to spend the extra $100 on a better movement option like the A2824, or on service or repair of the watch if and when it requires one. Of course, it is not a definite for the service/repair possibility. This hobby, like many aspects of life, entails small risks and gambles. You need to ask yourself what works for you. 

I’m in the market for something relatively cheap and was leaning towards a Regmariner but then I came across a Noob Seadweller on Toro’s site for $138

http://www.tb-2018.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1419

Just wondering if anyone has one and what they think? Seems like it can’t be all that bad and the price is right.

Thanks,
Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The one you listed is V1 noob with shitty movement init but from what I recall it's quite reliable. There is a discussion on rwi on it which makes it quite a compelling buy noting the price point.

It does have some very obvious flaws such as the pearl on the bezel .As legend outlined you need to work out what works for you.

You'll always come across a better version visually/ movement wise and regret not spending the extra 100 bucks.

Also keep an eye on m2m, at times there are decent watches .

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I might be in the minority, but I have nothing against the DG2813 movement.  The few I've owned were just fine and I'm reasonably comfortable breaking down a movement and cleaning it.  So, provided I don't need to buy parts, I should be OK in that regard.

I'll have to look for that thread on RWI when they are back up.  It sounds interesting and would be helpful.

Appreciate the responses.

Thanks,

Andy

I just bought a "vintage" Submariner from Ryan for 128 USD... it has the infamous 2813 in it...

Whenever it will break I will swap it with another 2813 that sells for 30-35 USD...

Why bother to fix it?

Even if I'll be unlucky I can buy three of them with the 100 USD that I saved in the beginning.

Fingers crossed. :)

10 hours ago, spazthecat said:

I might be in the minority, but I have nothing against the DG2813 movement.  The few I've owned were just fine and I'm reasonably comfortable breaking down a movement and cleaning it.  So, provided I don't need to buy parts, I should be OK in that regard.

I'll have to look for that thread on RWI when they are back up.  It sounds interesting and would be helpful.

Appreciate the responses.

Thanks,

Andy

No you are not wrong Andy, An A2813 movement does not automatically mean a definite breakdown, and an ETA movement does not mean that it is automatically problem free. There is a full gamut of possibilities in this hobby, and it comes down to personal luck, preference, risk quotient and what we are willing to live with and what we are not. 

General consensus is one source of reference. Your personal experience is another. Put them together and you will have a good idea of what works for you.