When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mixed feelings about my work...

Rolexman

Hi Guys,

I know I haven’t posted much last couple of month. Busy with family and work. Still into watches and reps but on a slower pace and smaller scale. I still build some really good Frankens from time to time for family, friends, co-workers etc. Most of the time they keep them and enjoy them but over time I also lose sight of some people and the watches I build. They get sold, traded in and change hands. 

Recently I saw some of my work popping up on legitimate sites. Respectable sellers and jewellers are selling some my watches via Chrono24 and other platforms as genuine with ditto pricing. I feel somehow responsible for that even though I have nothing to do with the misrepresentation. 

What do you guys think?

Mark

Sadly there is nothing you can do to mitigate that.

These things are beyond your control and you shouldn't feel this way about it.

I guess it's no different to some monkey selling a arf SD 43 as gen on chrono website.

Be well...and best wishes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mark, perhaps you can add a hallmark to your pieces as a signal to people in the future? I know a very high end dial maker that has started doing this for exactly this reason: his pieces were being sold as gens. The hallmark tells the truth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s not your fault nor responsibility. Try turning it around and saying that some people think they are good enough to pass as gen - not condoning it but it’s a tribute to your skills. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4.1.2018 at 8:07 AM, Rolexman said:

Hi Guys,

What do you guys think?

Mark

Franken Rolexes I guess? If it can happen it will happen. In the end it is what you decide that really matters. In my opinion you should go on doing what you enjoy regardless.

Edited by gran

If a master swordsmith forges a blade so sharp, and the warrior he sells it to uses it to effortlessly slay a hundred men, the warrior will be judged and not the sword.

What we are discussing about is individual integrity and responsibility. You should draw the line at acknowledging the fine work and craftsmanship you produce. That is your accolade.
How someone uses your work, is none of your business. Do what you believe in and know what your work stands for. Let every buyer of your watches/work exercise his own responsibility.
I do not know if your post is a subtle hint at how good your work is, i.e, craftsmanship so fine, they can make a watch pass as gen, but regardless, what I said remains valid. Being good is not a flaw. But how someone chooses to represent your work/watches is his own responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

On 4.01.2018 at 8:13 AM, Drifterr said:

Sadly there is nothing you can do to mitigate that.

These things are beyond your control and you shouldn't feel this way about it.

I guess it's no different to some monkey selling a arf SD 43 as gen on chrono website.

Be well...and best wishes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Really? Somebody tried to sell arf SD on chrono already?

2 hours ago, Legend said:

If a master swordsmith forges a blade so sharp, and the warrior he sells it to uses it to effortlessly slay a hundred men, the warrior will be judged and not the sword.

What we are discussing about is individual integrity and responsibility. You should draw the line at acknowledging the fine work and craftsmanship you produce. That is your accolade.
How someone uses your work, is none of your business. Do what you believe in and know what your work stands for. Let every buyer of your watches/work exercise his own responsibility.
I do not know if your post is a subtle hint at how good your work is, i.e, craftsmanship so fine, they can make a watch pass as gen, but regardless, what I said remains valid. Being good is not a flaw. But how someone chooses to represent your work/watches is his own responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is another example of why I just love reading your posts :) Perfectly put. 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...