When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP 300M dead - thoughts?

sebvad

First watch buy of the new year was an omega seamaster pro diver 300m - it arrived in great condition, is a strikingly beautiful watch, and 4 days later - simply stopped working.  I can hear the rotor turning, and if i wind up the reserve and press the upper chrono pusher, the chrono hand moves ever so slightly, but not continuously, and it won't reset.  Second hand doesn't move at all.  Prior to it stopping, the chrono was not used.

I've only ever had something like this occur once before (out of 12 buys), and that turned out to be a very small piece of glue (or something that looks like glue) stuck between the gears.  This is purchased from a very respected TD (name doesn't matter, not naming them as i don't want it to appear that they've done anything wrong, or are to blame in anyway) - so i've no doubt it'll be addressed - but my reason for posting here is to sense check with you lot if there's something i should be trying whilst i wait to hear back from dear TD?  I don't have a jewelers kit, nor would i have the expertise to due much surgery even if i did, i'm afraid.

Any thoughts?

By all means approach the TD. The chances are they’ll ask you to return it to them, which is a long process and not without risks. Your best alternative is to find a local watchsmith who’ll take a look at it for you. If you’re lucky the TD may contribute towards it, or may give a discount on your next purchase. 

That’s fine. Just be prepared for a wait until it’s returned to you.

Also, I’d ask the TD for the return address in Chinese (assuming they are in China!) - Print it out and paste it to your parcel as not all Chinese postman can read English. :good:

I don't mind a wait - patience is, after all, a virtue - no? 8-)  Good thought on the Chinese address - but i'm afraid it's already gone.  The post office had a hard enough time with the Chinese address format in English - they might have just curled up into the fetal position and rocked back and forth had i given it to them in Chinese 8-)