When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Do So Many RO Reps Have 8 BPS?

CoolKid

Hey, long-time watch enthusiast, first time replica buyer here.

Why do so many AP replicas have movements that are 8 beats per second when real Royal Oaks only have 6 beats per second?  Are lower-frequency movements not cheaper to produce and thinner?

I know that the frequency is not the only factor that makes a second hand have a smooth sweep, so does a 28800vph replica have the same sweeping motion as a real Royal Oak?

Thanks for the insight.

• 2 months later...

There is no reason why the beat rate would affect either the price or the depth of a movement. Other factors such as the quality of the design and materials would have a much greater effect.

Unless both gen and rep are side by side only the truly obsessed could actually tell the difference in the sweep.

Rep makers look to use movements that are readily available to them, which is often the Asian 2824, 2836 and Miyota clones. Only watches likely to sell in extremely high number justify cloning the original movements. Currently only the Rolex 3135 and now 4130 to my knowledge 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Sogeha, the genuine AP chrono movement is a pretty complex movement. The rep makers are totally driven by sales numbers/return on investment. They have cloned the Rolex movements simply because replica Rolex numbers sold are many multiples of AP. While AP wouldn't be considered a "niche" brand, and is wildly popular among it's enthusiasts it is nowhere near as popular as Rolex. Because of these factors, the rep manufacturers use a "work around" movement. They add a couple of gears to a Asian 7750 movement to move the seconds hand from 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock which allows them to produce a watch that is pretty darn close to the genuine. Certainly not 100%, but close. Add Legends spa treatment, and you have a watch that will withstand pretty close scrutiny by all but avid AP WIS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone noticed that TrustyTime now has the APRO FC Diver with the slow beat (21600) ETA 2846-2?

image.thumb.png.fc7ec295996a4ac8ea3f8df84c164557.png

I have compared the A2836 version and the ETA2846 version and the datewheel window opening on the 2846 version seems to be bigger. The prof diver cyclop did not fit the 2846 dial by default and needs to be modded. The cyclop is a plug and play for the 2836.
I do not know if it’s the case only for that specific 2846 piece I worked on or whether it is the same across the board. Can someone else comment on this? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 1:12 AM, Legend said:

I have compared the A2836 version and the ETA2846 version and the datewheel window opening on the 2846 version seems to be bigger. The prof diver cyclop did not fit the 2846 dial by default and needs to be modded. The cyclop is a plug and play for the 2836.
I do not know if it’s the case only for that specific 2846 piece I worked on or whether it is the same across the board. Can someone else comment on this? Thanks

Here's a pic if it helps compare:

20180708_101557.thumb.jpg.2e886064fafe4b494e948f705c760e9d.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Legend said:

Thanks D!
Is that the 2846 version please?

Yes, 2846... It arrived all dirty, hack mechanism missing, and oil was all gunked up.

My watchmaker whipped it into shape and now it's running like a champ!

D if you notice the right bottom corner of the date window, it seems a tad distorted in the pic. I noticed this also on the 2846 I worked on. The shape of the window seems different from the one on the 2836. I could be wrong of course, could be just the angle of your pics mate.

15 minutes ago, Legend said:

D if you notice the right bottom corner of the date window, it seems a tad distorted in the pic. I noticed this also on the 2846 I worked on. The shape of the window seems different from the one on the 2836. I could be wrong of course, could be just the angle of your pics mate.

It's not distorted, but the reflection and the parallax makes it look kind of bulbous doesn't it! I'll try to get a better one later.

On 7/8/2018 at 11:20 AM, Legend said:

I've uploaded some quick macro shots that could explain the differences between models... is it possible that the corner radii are larger, so a less rounded corner window would not fit?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y7KRcQvfqt2aTvZIqt5drWvX2kXPRlhP

IMG_5422.thumb.JPG.f28d6d55d9fc0786e3b71e0768177b85.JPG

I've uploaded some quick macro shots that could explain the differences between models... is it possible that the corner radii are larger, so a less rounded corner window would not fit?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y7KRcQvfqt2aTvZIqt5drWvX2kXPRlhP

IMG_5422.thumb.JPG.f28d6d55d9fc0786e3b71e0768177b85.JPG

Thanks D for sharing. I’m posting a modded 2836 model with prof cyclop. Do you see any diff?
1751d363a4f6544b3ea7afed61815eae.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well I was wondering the same. New ROO Diver V9 (not sure if V9,5 also) is considered a super rep, but I'm curious why factories install 4Hz movements while gen has a 3Hz movement. I'm confused.
From what I observed reps with 2813 are much cheaper than 2824/36 (like 80$ sometimes)