When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Legend: for ruining all other watch-smiths for me forever

kinkinza

Context: Bought an Oyster Perpetual 39mm (JF, 114300, Grape) from Mary (TD) that needed basic servicing. Timegrapher results provided by Mary suggested that it was gaining about +013 s/d, not ideal but fortunately fixable.

About me: First rep, first automatic watch, didn't even know how to take out the extra steel links with a screwdriver - essentially a watch noob. I live in a place that does not have many rep-friendly watch-smiths, or even friendly watch-smiths for that matter - let's just say that asking the neighbourhood watch-smith to do basic servicing on a regular watch requires great patience, resilience and low expectations on the customer's part. This meant that I had to rely on recommendations on forums or risk never enjoying wearing my OP. Someone recommended Al (Legend), and so I contacted him about watch servicing.

What I hoped for before I met Al: 

- My watch comes back in one piece, after months. I'm patient - I have waited for 27 years before getting an automatic watch, I can wait a few more months. 

What actually happened:

- A complete disassembly, cleaning, oiling, regulation and assembly of the movement - complete with pictures showing me what was going on. I was new to the world of watches and Al was kind to take the time to explain to me what was going on, and answer my questions.

- Regular updates on how my watch was doing and his QC processes. Al has excellent attention to detail and clearly takes pride in servicing each watch to the best of his ability. He also does mods, and damn, his modded watches look good.

- Watch is returned to me in about 2 weeks, looking beautiful and working like a dream. 

If I hadn't found Al, I would probably still be stuck with a watch that was too big for my wrist, with a clone 3132 movement that is probably not oiled very well and with dust stuck inside. Eventually, the movement might stop sporadically as a result and cause the watch to fail to keep time well, which would be a shame because I really like this watch.

However, the superb quality of Al's work, his affordable rates, and his excellent, transparent, communication style has meant that I can never get any watch fixed at any typical watch-smith without being disappointed. He has basically ruined me for any other watch-smiths forever, so I'm naming and shaming him right here.

20180121_000124.jpg

Edited by kinkinza
  • Like 6

Oh wow. First time I’ve been named and shamed lol.

Thank you B your creative and humorous writing is definitely evident in your post.
Thank you for your review and thank you for being one of the easiest and most relaxed and trusting members that I’ve worked with in a while.

Your watch goes well on your wrist and I hope that he remains a faithful and constant companion for you in a longtime to come.

P.S.@lorenzo1910 and@mike on a bike, kinkinza is no young man, nor an old one either. She is a nice and bright young lady and she will appreciate it if everyone treats her like one lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"kinkinza is no young man, nor an old one either. She is a nice and bright young lady"

I guessed that (looking at that bare wrist/arm) but I was unsure... that's why I didn't say anything about the gender...

Nice to have a woman within our lines...

Once again, welcome Kinkinza! 

• Like 1

"kinkinza is no young man, nor an old one either. She is a nice and bright young lady"
I guessed that (looking at that bare wrist/arm) but I was unsure... that's why I didn't say anything about the gender...

I wonder if I’ve opened the gates of hell for her by making her gender known mate. Lol

Thank you Lorenzo! I used to be on RWI but came here after the site went down. RWG is fantastic and I'm enjoying myself here.

I wonder if I’ve opened the gates of hell for her by making her gender known mate. Lol

Thanks Al for the kind words, it was an absolute pleasure working with you as well. Couldn't ask for anyone better, quite frankly!

And no worries on that, I can hold my own (:

As long as I'm registered here I can only see polite gentlemen that can't harm any ladies/girls sensibility... :)