When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

World’s first ARF Gentona?

hologramet

I think I’m pretty safe to say no-one has made a Genenstein from a ARF case before. Anyways, here you have it...

ARF bracelet

ARF midcase

rest is gen

C9BFBF0C-1896-4E1F-9033-E6A387DCC24A.thumb.jpeg.13ffc53465afe99195027ac36a5aabe1.jpeg

In case anyone is wondering.

It needs to be lathed on the inside since the 4130 has a bigger diameter that includes the movement holder area. Midcase neck for crystal gasket. Total work about 6hs.

Also, he wants to inform that Phong can go poop himself since his cases are full with 0,2mm crown height erors putting pressure on stems etc.

The thing is. If you have a good base to work with (lets assume all VN case modders and similar do). If it takes a full days salary (lets assume you want big shot prices) 600 USD for a midcase. Fine... ok... But charging that price for manual lathing and drilling, and its not 100%. You might as well buy a good base (eg chinese rep) and get a professional watch maker with the right tools. And then pay that premium sum, actually get something worth the cash.

No this is NOT an advert, as he has enough work, but more a proof-of-concept!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gillesss said:

Like the look of it, but I would be annoyed by the faux function subdials. Or are these upgraded to working condition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since it uses a genuine Rolex 4130 and genuine dial, I would assume this copy works... ;)

• Like 1

Since it uses a genuine Rolex 4130 and genuine dial, I would assume this copy works...

You did have to put in quite some money to get here though? Gen movements are hard to acquire and not cheap. I’m looking at a daytona for my 21st but it’s most likely not available. Depends on the mood of my parents whenever the time arises could be a 2k piece but just as well 20. I well let go of my gen 16613 though.

I think I’m pretty safe to say no-one has made a Genenstein from a ARF case before. Anyways, here you have it...

ARF bracelet
ARF midcase
rest is gen

C9BFBF0C-1896-4E1F-9033-E6A387DCC24A.thumb.jpeg.13ffc53465afe99195027ac36a5aabe1.jpeg

In case anyone is wondering.

It needs to be lathed on the inside since the 4130 has a bigger diameter that includes the movement holder area. Midcase neck for crystal gasket. Total work about 6hs.

Also, he wants to inform that Phong can go poop himself since his cases are full with 0,2mm crown height erors putting pressure on stems etc.

The thing is. If you have a good base to work with (lets assume all VN case modders and similar do). If it takes a full days salary (lets assume you want big shot prices) 600 USD for a midcase. Fine... ok... But charging that price for manual lathing and drilling, and its not 100%. You might as well buy a good base (eg chinese rep) and get a professional watch maker with the right tools. And then pay that premium sum, actually get something worth the cash.

No this is NOT an advert, as he has enough work, but more a proof-of-concept!

Not bad, there was one built last year with gen case and bracelet, and of course gen movement, dial, pushers, crystal, hands, crown etc
So I agree that yours is the first franken built on an ARF base but definitely not the first of its kind.
However I think yours is more impressive because of the amount of work involved, and the passion and motivation to get it done.
When everything is gen, it is more like assembly and not modding.
Well done and wear her well! It is watches like this that push the limits of the hobby.

In case anyones interested. Modding cost are 750€. Contact me for info. Rehaut engravings must be removed to attain 10bar+ WR.

Are you offering modification service for members commercially? Or just sharing your costs and experience?

2 hours ago, Legend said:

Not bad, there was one built last year with gen case and bracelet, and of course gen movement, dial, pushers, crystal, hands, crown etc
So I agree that yours is the first franken built on an ARF base but definitely not the first of its kind.
However I think yours is more impressive because of the amount of work involved, and the passion and motivation to get it done.
When everything is gen, it is more like assembly and not modding.
Well done and wear her well! It is watches like this that push the limits of the hobby.

Are you offering modification service for members commercially? Or just sharing your costs and experience?

I know that there have been earlier Genensteins. This was a Genenstein w/ Phong midcase before it became a ARF Genenstein. I’m pretty sure its the first ARF Genenstein though.

A member that I have quite low regards of (sacsah) was the first with a Phong Genenstein (as far as I know) and my friend was nr 2.

That’s the reason for the Phong remarks. His midcase was both expensive and mot especially correct.

I am not the creator of this watch, it is a close friend of mine. I was the one that got the ball rolling. Helped him aquire first the Phong and now the stock ARF case.

However, the work is planned and done 100% by my friend. He is a master watchmaker, 6 years of watch smith school in the early 80s (or whatever its called in english) and 30+ years of working on high end watches.

I asked him what he would charge for doing the same work and assembly should a member ask.

However, he used to have 2 spare NOS 4130s (sealed), but since both remaining ones are sold, the service is strictly Bring-your-own-parts, as ordering a 4130 from Rolex Geneva is lets put it mildly... ”not that easy”.

• Like 1

I know that there have been earlier Genensteins. This was a Genenstein w/ Phong midcase before it became a ARF Genenstein. I’m pretty sure its the first ARF Genenstein though.

A member that I have quite low regards of (sacsah) was the first with a Phong Genenstein (as far as I know) and my friend was nr 2.

That’s the reason for the Phong remarks. His midcase was both expensive and mot especially correct.

I am not the creator of this watch, it is a close friend of mine. I was the one that got the ball rolling. Helped him aquire first the Phong and now the stock ARF case.

However, the work is planned and done 100% by my friend. He is a master watchmaker, 6 years of watch smith school in the early 80s (or whatever its called in english) and 30+ years of working on high end watches.

I asked him what he would charge for doing the same work and assembly should a member ask.

However, he used to have 2 spare NOS 4130s (sealed), but since both remaining ones are sold, the service is strictly Bring-your-own-parts, as ordering a 4130 from Rolex Geneva is lets put it mildly... ”not that easy”.

Thank you for sharing.
Whoever built the watch, it is impressive all the same. I think whoever claims to be able to call out the ARF midcase on the wrist will not be telling the truth.
Such a project really takes a lot of dedication, effort and of course tons of money and deserves to be shown off to the community in good spirit!

Looks like a decent build but the ARF rehaut still sucks compared to gen. The pushers also don't align like gen so I bet the chrono start and stop is pretty finicky

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Also calling something genenstein when the case and bracelet is rep is pretty immaturish. But I guess one way to feel better about yourself. It should only be consider genenstein when everything from case to bracelet to movement to dial and bezel is genuine Rolex parts.

Like this 305cc4cacbd67c5a262621b7e482d8da.jpg&key=05668698f16a79f3aabd2febd668851d4d40cbcd546549c66645a3c6d62a3fd9

Also removing the rehaut would make this watch a fantasy model. If you remove the rehaut, it should come with 78490 bracelet with a different clasp. So if OP removed the rehaut to attain higher waterproofing but is using a 78590 bracelet, it doesn't exist in gen. But still not a bad build on a budget.

53 minutes ago, sacsah1 said:

Looks like a decent build but the ARF rehaut still sucks compared to gen. The pushers also don't align like gen so I bet the chrono start and stop is pretty finicky

Also calling something genenstein when the case and bracelet is rep is pretty immaturish. But I guess one way to feel better about yourself. It should only be consider genenstein when everything from case to bracelet to movement to dial and bezel is genuine Rolex parts.

Like this emoji23.png305cc4cacbd67c5a262621b7e482d8da.jpg&key=05668698f16a79f3aabd2febd668851d4d40cbcd546549c66645a3c6d62a3fd9

Also removing the rehaut would make this watch a fantasy model. If you remove the rehaut, it should come with 78490 bracelet with a different clasp. So if OP removed the rehaut to attain higher waterproofing but is using a 78590 bracelet, it doesn't exist in gen. But still not a bad build on a budget.

I fart in your general direction too...

P.S. Everything aligns 0.05mm. Tubes, pushers, everything is redrilled and case is slimmed from the top, thereforw rehaut is removed.

So a Genenstein according to you uses gen midcase and bracelet too? Then it’s not really a Genenstein, more of a black markert unsellable Rolex.

But sure Sachal your imaginary wiener is bigger.

Hey I'm calling [censored] when it's [censored]. You call your build genenstein when the midcase and BRACELET is still rep ??

Correction noob: it's a franken

It's a great fantasy build and great effort on both you and your Watchmakers part to build something like this on a budget but it's not a genenstein.

Btw, for those who are interested Domi can also do this mod for those who are interested. And if someone needs 4130 parts, might be difficult for OP, but let me know if any of you need them

I fart in your general direction too...

P.S. Everything aligns 0.05mm. Tubes, pushers, everything is redrilled and case is slimmed from the top, thereforw rehaut is removed.

So a Genenstein according to you uses gen midcase and bracelet too? Then it’s not really a Genenstein, more of a black markert unsellable Rolex.

But sure Sachal your imaginary wiener is bigger.

I have to +1@sacsah1 . A genstein is exactly what he said it was. A watch that was assembled completely out of genuine parts. Even the case and bracelet counts to this. Yours is a Franken and despite the flaws of the ARF case, a very decent one. Although it is not a genstein. Period.

If you get butthurt because people telling you the truth, then so be it, be my guest.
  • Like 2