When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

School me on 2836/2846 movement holders, please.

RickFlorida

Hello everyone.

You guys got me hooked on watch tinkering.   A year after having RoloJack shape me a nice Tudor sub I'm now starting to get my own hands dirty.

I have a question about finding a good tool to hold a 2836 or 2846 ETA movement while you work on it.  I like the specific ones I see people use online that fit each movement.  So when I saw this used Bergeon 11.5 Lignes sized one I thougth, "Gee, this means my movement will drop right in and fit snug like you see when people work on the rolex movements in their specific holders".  Wrong!   When I drop my ETA 2846 in mine, it barely rests flat and pivots easily.  But being a complete newbie, maybe there is something I don't know.  Since the movement has to stay flat when you press hands on or place force to snap on the dial clamps... I need a better solution.   I'm reluctant to purchase the one size fits all movement holders because I'm afraid I'll smash or scratch the movement trying to adjust.

I see some ebay listing for movement holder that is specifically listed for the 2836 (doesn't say 11.5 lingnes).  Does this mean it would fit more snug?  I was going to post a link to the Ebay listing but I was afraid that would break a rule.  They are from China, and 16 dollars.

thanks for any info or advice.

IMG_0051.jpg

Edited by RickFlorida

I forgot to mention that I don't have the oscillating weight on the movement when I place it in the holder, is that why it doesn't fit right?  I assumed since you remove the weight when you remove it from the case you leave it off which to me would make it more flat and even for the movement holder?

Thank you.   What I mean what I say it pivots/tilts is that the movement does not sit inside the the "seat" of the movement holder so any pressure on the movement from the top and it will tilt.

I measured the inside "seat" or lip which is 25.5 which i thought would be correct.  What is interesting is that on the internet, I've only seen photos of people using the adjustable/universal holders on these movements and sometimes the plastic movement cases they ship in.  So I wonder if maybe there isn't any movement holder that fits them?   But for 20 dollars, you can get a movement holder that the 1570 rolex fits snug as [censored] in.

The green one you sent a link to looks great and much more promising for a "snug" fit so I'll try that one.  Thank you.

Edited by RickFlorida

Mystery solved.   I incorrectly assumed you leave the oscillating weight off when placing the movement on these holders but I tried placing the weight inside the holder and it's a perfect fit.

So apparently, when you remove a weight from the movement to remove from case, you have to install the weight back onto the movement to make it fit in these holders properly.