When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Still no 1570 or 1520 Movement clones, right?

RickFlorida

With laser cutting, 3d Printing, high resolution scanning, and I would think Patents expiring on the 1520 and 1570 Movements... I don't understand why we don't have a clone of those movements yet.  Why do I see more and more 2824 and 2836 clones popping up but we have no 1570 or 1520 movements?  

There are like 5 or 6 different factories now making exact ETA 2824 or 2836 clones.  Is that because ETA helped them by giving them the tooling?  

There would be a huge market for aftermarket 1570 movement parts.

I kind of get why there is a clone 3135 since for "new sales" in the rep world, having a clone 3135 makes sense for selling complete rep. watches.  However, if there is no demand for clone 1520 or 1570 movements or at least parts of them... then why is there such a demand for 2836 or 2824 clones to such a point that we now have at least 5 or 6 different factories churning them out like there is no tomorrow.  The 2836 is just about as old and outdated as a 1570 to me.

Bear in mind the 1520/1570 movements are over 30 years old. Same with the V72. There's just no interest in producing outdated movements- way too costly with slim chances of recouping your investment. And the 2824/2836 can be produced for probably less than $50. 

1 hour ago, alligoat said:

Bear in mind the 1520/1570 movements are over 30 years old. Same with the V72. There's just no interest in producing outdated movements- way too costly with slim chances of recouping your investment. And the 2824/2836 can be produced for probably less than $50. 

You mean the 2824 or 2836 would be less complicated to reproduce than a 1520/70?    I'm an idiot about watch making but the 1520/70 does not appear more complicated than a 2824 or 2836 but I could be wrong.

Edited by RickFlorida

I don't think "complication" is the issue.  Although I would love to see the 1570 repped I understand why they don't do it.  Parts suppliers tell me that most factories are primarily interested in producing what is "hot" right now and don't put much priority on "vintage" stuff.  This was the reason I was given to explain why I had to wait 8-10 months to get my last batch of 2824 DJ cases.

That being said if there is a petition going around to present to get a 1570 repped I'll gladly sign it!

3 hours ago, Drummania said:

The initial r&d cost of a movement is high. The IWC PR movement cost factory $3m (18m RMB yuan) to rep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then I wonder if the 5 or 6 different factories that are cranking out 2836's and 2824's were given the tooling by ETA on loan or did they really make all of their own tooling and dies?

I know the Yuki 3135 clone is a different ballgame as it is made in small batches, more by hand in a small shop or factory I assume.  But can't another small shop start making 1570's?

3d printing directly in metal is not accurate enough yet but it will be soon.   At that time, if we get the specs of each part, or at least the some of the parts... we can begin making them.

• 4 years later...

a nice replacement for a 1520 movement is a 2620, If you want a 2824-2 to work as a no-date (2 crown positions only) you will have to replace the original setting lever with one from an ETA 2801-2 ... 2801-2 is a manual wind no-date movement and its setting lever jumper fits perfectly on a 2824-2

If someone wanted to make a batch of good quality 19800 or 21600 bph movements with the same hand sizes, date position, and dial foot location as a 15xx rlx (with quick set) it would probably sell.  It would not have to look like a rlx, just act like one.  Also make it quick set without a 'click' in the date setting position, just find the date set position by feel and make it hack or not hack by removing the hack lever like an ETA.

Make a GMT too!

I can't remember having an ETA 2620, I'll hunt one up.

17jewels.info: ETA 2620R

• Like 1