When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anti-Dust Casing... post our tips here?

RickFlorida

Hi, Everyone.

I have asked and searched in the past about tricks on getting plastic crystals clean when casing up your watch and some were really good but were pretty spread out across the whole internet realm or buried deep in specific projects here.  I thought maybe people might be willing to share tips on how to remove smudges, finger prints, and dust from crystals before casing up a watch.  I'll start with what I've learned as a beginner.

I asked a professional watchmaker (Vanessa of CW21 in Southern California and she simply said she uses a "special microfiber cloth that I wash without fabric softener".

I wish I knew what brand but I suppose if the microfiber is washable, and good enough for original rolex plastic crystals, would anyone know which one she probalby uses?

Now that is interesting.  Here I am thinking I have to purchase ultra soft, brand new microfibers and then delicately use it within seconds of opening it and hope for the best.  After she told me this my new approach will be that you can aggressively "rub out" smudges and dust with a microfiber cloth and then simply use a squeeze blower or air canister to blow of any dust that falls on the crystal after you rubbed the hell out of it with the cloth.

Does this strategy seem correct?   I see pictures of extremely clean, shiny looking crystals and I marvel at out that comes to be.

There is also plastic safe cleaning spray that is for acrylic.  I think that would be good to get the streaky clean look and combine this with the correct microfiber cloth.

Anyone else have tips?

Don't want to share secrets, huh?

I'd like to add that what I now believe the approach with a microfiber cloth or cleaning the crystal in general is probably this.... (feel free to add anything).

Cleaning is a stage process.

1.First stage, is to use a ultra soft microfiber cloth to rub all of the smudges out.  I will experiment with the acrylic safe spray to see if I get it really clean.

2.Second stage is that any dust/lint that remains or newly falls onto the crystal or case can be blown away with air.

Spray brake cleaner and a can of duster simultaneously. If dust persists, hold the duster can upside down while spraying and use a lighter to ignite the stream. No dust guaranteed.

Seriously, use the dust bulb or if something is stuck and stubborn I would recommend AF rub-off. Rodico leaves residue.

2 hours ago, altesporsche said:

rodico, then alcohol swab, then micro fiber and a can of compressed air. I never have dust issues.  

Thank you for this workflow.

What kind of alcohol?  I would think you mean denatured alcohol.   But are you talking about on sapphire crystals?  I would be worried of alcohol on plexi crystals.

54 minutes ago, RickFlorida said:

Thank you for this workflow.

What kind of alcohol?  I would think you mean denatured alcohol.   But are you talking about on sapphire crystals?  I would be worried of alcohol on plexi crystals.

Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) and its fine on plexi.