When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Water proof

Luis23

They could be water resistant to a certain depth or not. It depends on how well they were assembled at the factory. Some are some aren’t. You can have them tested by a local jeweller and if they fail get them sealed up. Generally, there are only a couple of areas that need attention - the case back O ring and the crown. 

8 hours ago, kernow said:

They could be water resistant to a certain depth or not. It depends on how well they were assembled at the factory. Some are some aren’t. You can have them tested by a local jeweller and if they fail get them sealed up. Generally, there are only a couple of areas that need attention - the case back O ring and the crown. 

So a jeweler can make a rep total water proof? That sounds kind of expensive. I would have to let they jeweler know it’s a rep correct. 

How much does making a rep water proof with a jeweler cost? Just so I have an idea going in.

1 hour ago, Luis23 said:

So a jeweler can make a rep total water proof? That sounds kind of expensive. I would have to let they jeweler know it’s a rep correct. 

How much does making a rep water proof with a jeweler cost? Just so I have an idea going in.

To get the WP test and sometimes gaskets replaced (even on brand new watches) costs me €10 to €15 with my watchmaker. I went into a jeweler once to get this done. She charged €20 for the test and €30 for gaskets, so shop around. I have used the same watchmaker for three years now and he makes this hobby affordable in as much as he can but he cannot stop me going crazy on a build or cure my obsessiveness, but he does take the sting out of it lol. 

2 hours ago, fabbe79 said:

I have swimmed with my LMPO and everything was ok except the springbars that got a lot of rust.. Definitely need better springbars! Any suggestions?

As far as I remember i bought 2mm heavy duty ones on EBay and I have not had a problem since, also they snap in better than the skinny Noob ones. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fabbe79 said:

Thank you! Wich size? 20mm is the correct one but with bracelets sometimes they are hard to fit

Yep 20mm. Mine just snap in now but I have had it over 2 yrs so the watch tends to do as I tell it to now lol. 

15 hours ago, Luis23 said:

Some rep watches can definitely be made waterproof, but at the end of the day it often comes down to design and build quality. The sub should be very easy to make waterproof. Just the caseback and the crown. The YM may be harder.

• 2 weeks later...

Semi-unprofessional procedure, works in 9 of 10 times for light swimming: For the sub some silicon grease on the caseback gasket and crown o-rings. The caseback almost always needs to be tightened with the proper (cheap if from China) caseback tool. These steps You should not skip.

As for (over-) complicating things: it´s just a $400 rep not a $6.000 gen....

Note: the fun is worth the while.

WapwR8w.jpg

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Semi-unprofessional procedure, works in 9 of 10 times for light swimming: For the sub some silicon grease on the caseback gasket and crown o-rings. The caseback almost always needs to be tightened with the proper (cheap if from China) caseback tool. These steps You should not skip.

As for (over-) complicating things: it´s just a $400 rep not a $6.000 gen....

Note: the fun is worth the while.

Pretty much my waterproofing method especially for oyster based reps. It's what I did with my personally built 1016 and it's gone swimming wherever I have since i've gotten it. 

You can make a cheap-o pressure tester from a Nalgene bottle.  I detailed the process here several years ago. 

I half fill it with water and pump it up to 90psi with the watch inside, which is about 170' of salt water depth (14.7psi + 0.445xdepth in feet) and let it sit for a minute.  Then I turn it on its side to submerge the watch and release the pressure.  If I see a bubble stream, I know I have more sealing to do.  You'll always get a few bubbles from beneath the bezel and around the crown... you're looking for a prolonged stream.  That equals bad news.

Easy squeasy.  Big fun too!  :tu:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...