When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Saying your watch is real if it's a replica

ziax

Hi everyone I haven't posted for a while as I've been moving house but I have a question when someone asks you about your watch and just say it's a rolex and they ask if it's real do you say it's real or not I have friends that say yes it's real when it's not and some say it's no its rep it doesn't bother me when they say it's real but I've always said mine are reps just because they haven't been the best quality but I am buying a ARF factory rep that I would get away with saying it's real I was just wondering what you guys say when people ask.

I look forward to your replies!

Cheers

Freddie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why lie? Tell them it’s a rep. Some people will know - especially if it’s a rep of a high end, say $100,000 timepiece. A lot about you gives away if you’re wearing a gen high end watch or a rep anyway. 

Why lie? Tell them it’s a rep. Some people will know - especially if it’s a rep of a high end, say $100,000 timepiece. A lot about you gives away if you’re wearing a gen high end watch or a rep anyway. 

Yeah fair enough I would say it's a rep but high end maybe if I'm at a place I'm never going back to I would say yeah it's gen because it doesn't matter aha but I usually say it's a rep as if you say it's a real and you get caught out and someone knows it's embarrassing I've never had it done but I've known people who have lol

How many could tell that you're wearing a rep? Few of the people I meet have ever handled a Submariner in their whole life... I'm use to buy only rep of watches that I can afford or that people may think I can... (a 50,000 $ Patek? C'mon guys...) and I've owned many expensive gen in the past (Rolex 1601/14000, Eberahard Navymaster, two Breitling Chronomat, Universal Geneve Polerouter...)

And the nowadays rep are just stunning... Only a trained eye may catch any tiny fault/difference...

BTW... I would not say anything about my watches... I just let them guess...

• Like 2

How many could tell that you're wearing a rep? Few of the people I meet have ever handled a Submariner in their whole life... I'm use to buy only rep of watches that I can afford or that people may think I can... (a 50,000 $ Patek? C'mon guys...) and I've owned many expensive gen in the past (Rolex 1601/14000, Eberahard Navymaster, two Breitling Chronomat, Universal Geneve Polerouter...)
And the nowadays rep are just stunning... Only a trained eye may catch any tiny fault/difference...
BTW... I would not say anything about my watches... I just let them guess...

I only like Reps that are believable I don't see the point in walking round with a £50k Patek as it is a auto rep but walking round with a £4k Datejust rep I see the point in as people may think you can afford it as it isn't a lot of money to be honest if someone said nice watch I would say thank you and nothing else if they kept asking questions I wouldn't say it's fake until they ask is it real but the line of work I'm in people probably think it's real I live in a posh part of England running a hotel with my family so people that come in probably own rolexs them selfs

Anyway I wouldn't say it's real unless I was in a place that I'm never going back to as it doesn't matter but at my home town I would say it's a very high end rep

Thanks for your replies!

Cheers
Freddie

Q..."Is it real or not?"

A...If it was not 'real' no one could see it.  

None of my Rolex watches are 'real' anyway.  Genuine or not.

I can hear you say:  "That's Crazy!"

Yeah, I know.

So, what's that all about?

I go strictly by the 'Official Rolex Rules'.

'ORR' #1 states:  "A Rolex watch that has been altered in any way is no longer a genuine Rolex watch."  

Sometimes I remove the sticker from the case back.  I've even been accused of setting the time and date.   :pimp:

All kidding aside, I always tell the truth about a watch and if anyone is interested, I'll tell them what movement it has etc.  

Btw...the only brand of watch anyone has ever asked "Is that real?" was the Rolex brand.  I guess everyone assumes most 'Rolex' watches are fakeroos and just want to know they are still sharp enough to spot one.

Most of the 'Super Replicas' would fool me.  I have a 'Long Arm' 39mm Explorer that I doubt I could tell from genuine before I owned it...it's the only later model 'Rolex' I have so I don't know much about them.  All mine are older models (early 2000s back).

'Long Arm' = correct hands, not too short.  The first genuine models looked to me like they had 'Short Arms'.

Have an older style replica steel quartz 'Cartier Santos Galbée' that I have worn now and then for 15+ years and no one has ever paid any attention to it.  Also had a genuine tutone quartz Santos and the replica looked just as good so I traded the genuine watch away...genuine was $1700 new in 1990 vs $75 for the replica 10 or 12 years later.  Genuine had an ETA movement, replica has a Hattori (Seiko).  Have a steel quartz replica 'Cartier Tank Francaise' and no one ever asked about it either.

For me it entirely depends who I am talking to. Some of my closest friends know I wear reps, some have no clue because they don't care. I will lie at times about the veracity if it's a nosy git or somebody trying to cause something. 
Close friends one can have a conversation with but I'm not going to talk through or debate it with passing acquaintances.

10 hours ago, automatico said:

Btw...the only brand of watch anyone has ever asked "Is that real?" was the Rolex brand.  I guess everyone assumes most 'Rolex' watches are fakeroos and just want to know they are still sharp enough to spot one.

I've once been asked about my patek but that's a good make who knows watches, when asked if it was real I laughed and said "not a chance"

Edited by HaydenM

I've been asked only twice over the year about my watches.   Strangely enough, both were be different car salesmen!   One noticed my PAM 616 Carbotech and he was wearing a Breitling Chrono Avenger.   I told him it was a rep and he was amazed at what a few hundred bucks can buy in the rep world.

The other time was a number of years back, when I had my gen Breitling Chrono-Evo on.   I forget what he had on, but I thanked him for the compliment and that was that.

I have no problem stating that any piece I have is a rep.   If nothing else, it can be a great conversation starter.

I work front of house so see all of our clients on a daily basis, i get compliments every few days on my Tc Sub but I've only been asked a couple of times if it was real or not, my response was different for both as one of the clients came across very dodgy so I told him it was a rep, the other I asked what he thought and even after handling the piece he said he thought it was real, I did tell him otherwise after we got chatting ;)

Well my friend owns a rep of 25.000$ Ulysse Nardin watch. It's really cool. It's not 100% accurate copy but it looks pretty decent, not to mention its cool features. He said that once his co-worker asked him about the watch. Of course he supposed that it's a rep, and my friend said that at the beginning. All in all they had a nice chat about the watch and joked that my friend should sell his car to afford this watch. I guess it's 100% ok to state the obvious thing as some watches are insanely expensive and personally I'd never imagine buying one, even if I had milions of dollars.

As for my reps well... no one so far commented or asked me anything. I guess my colleagues are just not so hipped on watches, and for them every watch is just a watch. No matter if it's a rolex, ap or quartz 50$ local jewelers brand. But I don't mind. I'm not flexing on them, nor want any attention. I just like my watches the way they are and enjoy them as I please.

A rep is only ever a fake when you try to pass it off as genuine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought if you have a fake rolex/watch meant that it doesn't exist like they don't make the model but I may be wrong

• 2 weeks later...
A rep is only ever a fake when you try to pass it off as genuine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Love this.

A nice scenario would be to finally be wearing a gen, and be asked about it. When you tell them it’s a rep.. and they won’t believe you. How awesome is that.

[mention=82354]seanjo76[/mention] why did you sign up to a rep forum if you want nothing to do with reps bit idiotic isnt it? 

If this keeps up, we will take the necessary action accordingly Freddie. Don’t worry mate. Meanwhile she can hang around and spice up the threads. Lol. :)

• Like 1

Lol age old question.

I love @nikki6's response. 

No one really asks and if they do I am delighted to tell them the truth, I see their eyes gloss over within 1 minute as I talk about watches. Where I live no one notices and no one cares. I have a few friends who are into watches here and we like to compare and contrast but that is about it. 

• Like 2

If this keeps up, we will take the necessary action accordingly Freddie. Don’t worry mate. Meanwhile she can hang around and spice up the threads. Lol.

Haha, thanks Al, It doesn't get to me like wearing watches and reps I also like frankening them!

• 1 month later...

How about the other way 'round - I've been telling my missus that my gen SMP is a rep for years - she'd kill me if she knew that I'd splashed out on a gen !!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I always answer that is is a cheap fake. However I manage to say it in a way that 95% of the time people won't believe me. :-)

• Like 1

How about the other way 'round - I've been telling my missus that my gen SMP is a rep for years - she'd kill me if she knew that I'd splashed out on a gen !!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Damn this is brilliant...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1