When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob here with many questions

xgeryx

Hello,

Greetings from Hungary!

I’m on the verge of giving in for custom Rolexes.

I’m really considering customizing my 114270.

Many builds are based on the 214270, but I’d like to stick to the good old 36 mm vintage look.

Is it possible to customize a 114270 in a way that it would recall the characteristics of a gilt 1016 or the Commando?

The changes I have in mind are:

Drilled lugs

Domed sapphire crystal

Gilt Explorer or Commando dial with correct hands set

Can you help me with sourcing the right parts needed for a build like that?

All help you can give is highly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a 114270 rep, you can always get the lugholes drilled, but I don't know where you'll find a domed sapphire crystal to fit.

Maybe you could get a gilt Explorer dial from Yuki- hopefully it will fit in the 114270 case and the gold hands wouldn't be hard to find either.

To build a Commando, you'll need a dial and it will have to be custom- maybe a water slide decal. BTW, case for a Commando is 34mm and the movement was the manual wind 1225, but getting the dial is really the challenge. And the difference between a 34 and 36 mm case isn't that noticeable. Hands on the Commando look like DJ hands to me- or at least a DJ set of hands would be close.

I'd personally buy a vintage 1016 Explorer and then get the gilt dial and hands and go from there. What you have in mind is what we call a 'fantasy watch' with no real basis in the real world.

• Like 1

If you have a 114270 rep, you can always get the lugholes drilled, but I don't know where you'll find a domed sapphire crystal to fit.

Maybe you could get a gilt Explorer dial from Yuki- hopefully it will fit in the 114270 case and the gold hands wouldn't be hard to find either.

To build a Commando, you'll need a dial and it will have to be custom- maybe a water slide decal. BTW, case for a Commando is 34mm and the movement was the manual wind 1225, but getting the dial is really the challenge. And the difference between a 34 and 36 mm case isn't that noticeable. Hands on the Commando look like DJ hands to me- or at least a DJ set of hands would be close.

I'd personally buy a vintage 1016 Explorer and then get the gilt dial and hands and go from there. What you have in mind is what we call a 'fantasy watch' with no real basis in the real world.

Thank you for this thorough answer! I actually have genuine 114270 that I’m thinking customizing.

Yes it’s a fantasy watch but it would work for me. If you look at HTW (http://heritagetimeworks.com/gi.html) their base watch is a 214270 which is 39 mm. Since I’m more of a vintage minded guy I would love either of those at 36 mm.

Yes the commando handset could be straight off a DJ or OP. I think the dial itself is a bit complicated to make it fit on 3130 werk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk