When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Broken spring pin stuck in bracelet

LifeTrekker

I have a repair problem I'm hoping someone here can give me some assistance with.

As you can see in the picture below, the spring bar on this Yuki Rolex 95153 bracelet has broken, but it left the end of a pin in one hole, which doesn't want to budge.

Now this spring bar is toast and will be replaced, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to get the pin out of the hole, I would really appreciate it. b5b5a98a722a98d380d05729f2ff8258.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hi. That's bad luck.

Just from an engineering point of view you might try heating up the bracelet link locally to the hole as fast as poss before the heat can get right through to the broken pin. This should expand the hole in the link quickly (faster than the pin) and might just let you be able to pull the broken part free with a good pair of tweezers. Might take a couple of tries, but if you can move it out enough to grab with a good pair of sharp long nose pliers then you have it.

This is fairly standard practice when trying to get siezed or stuck car parts, such as bushes, out when experiencing the same problem. Repeated heating and colling with a good penetrating oil may also help. It also of course works on inserts which have to be heat fitted in to a tight hole in an engineering component. Component is heated up first, then the insert is press fitted into the now larger hole. When cool its a very tight fit.

Good luck.

• Like 1

^^^ Good advice.  Try freezing it first and then apply heat to get as much temperature "delta" as possible.

Can you drill it from an angle with a long thin bit?  That gives you a hole to work with.

How about touching it with a MIG wire to stick them together, then pull both out?

You could try soaking that last link in an alum solution, and see if it will dissolve the pin before the bracelet.

I guess it depends on just how much you value your bracelet. As for trying to disolve the pin, not sure if thats a joke. If not - best of luck with that one. As for touching it with a MIG wire I suggest you go down the pub and let someone else try that one. Come back when sufficiently lubricated not to notice the ambulance outside the house.

3 hours ago, richard591 said:

I guess it depends on just how much you value your bracelet. As for trying to disolve the pin, not sure if thats a joke. If not - best of luck with that one. As for touching it with a MIG wire I suggest you go down the pub and let someone else try that one. Come back when sufficiently lubricated not to notice the ambulance outside the house.

our co-admin @Nanuq is a very knowledgeable and skillful guy, handy man to have around. 

He is also the guy who shared with us the destructive relationships his sledgehammer and his Landrover have with his Rolexes. 

So don't mind him, even when he has since toned down a lot... ;)  

Quite understand. It's good to see that some people still have a sense of humour in this dangerous world. I always start off from the point of view that everything can get worse and usually does!! Good luck LifeTrekker. Hope it works.
Yeah, my plan is to start with the "least destructive" options first, and then if that doesn't work, I'll pull out the sledge and the MIG. And maybe the chainsaw.

• Like 1

Yeah, my plan is to start with the "least destructive" options first, and then if that doesn't work, I'll pull out the sledge and the MIG. And maybe the chainsaw.

This is becoming ridiculous lol.
Let’s not forget that it’s just a stuck broken springbar pin haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LifeTrekker said:

Yeah, my plan is to start with the "least destructive" options first, and then if that doesn't work, I'll pull out the sledge and the MIG. And maybe the chainsaw. emoji6.png

Oh man, this is getting good.  Ma brudda from anudda mudda!

nanuq_box.jpg

• Like 1

you guys are nuts. I bet [mention=74139]LifeTrekker[/mention] regretted asking for help. This seems to be the wrong forum to do so. :partytime:

It's all good. I always try to have a little fun every day, and try not to take life too seriously. Besides, I have an idea for making sure that cavity behind the broken spring pin is full of oil before I try heating it.  

This basic idea came from someone on another forum, but the idea is that the expanding oil will force the pin out with hydraulic pressure. I'll let you all know how it works, assuming it does anyway. Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If that doesn't work try soaking it in a strong alum solution. I doubt that springbar tip is as tough as the stainless of the bracelet, and it will eventually get eaten away.

Search for other discussions we've had here about these problems. Other uses are for when a crown stem breaks off inside a crown. Alum eats it right up.

1 minute ago, richard591 said:

I guess you have enough advice to last you a lifetime now. Do let us all know if it works.

Each time I see your profile picture I have to grin a little. 

What's the story with the yellow duck haha.

OK Sorry off-topic I know!

Hi Legend

No real story really other than I tend not to take life seriously these days and as lifetrekker said, try to have a little fun every day. Stops me from suffering terminal brain freeze when watching the never ending chaos on the news each morning – like America’s terminal inability to deal with the second amendment for example etc etc etc and the NRA’s solution being that to arm the teachers will solve the problem!!! And that’s coming from a lifetime shooter (me) who fell in love with firearms at the age of 13. When choosing a profile photo it therefore seemed rather appropriate to translate all that into some pictorial form ie. Donnald Duck running away in obvious panic. Other than that, I’m fairly normal – although the wife wouldn’t necessarily agree.

• Like 1

"Stops me from suffering terminal brain freeze when watching the never ending chaos on the news each morning – like America’s terminal inability to deal with the second amendment for example etc etc etc and the NRA’s solution being that to arm the teachers will solve the problem!!!"

To quote a learned man:  "The second amendment is not there to prevent a deer uprising."

Almost all USA schools are 'Gun Free Zones'.  Every lunatic knows this.  Maybe that's why they attack schools. 

Would said lunatic rather attack a school with all teachers armed with a pencil sharpener...or a school with a few range qualified teachers armed with a Glock?

What would be your solution?

The 15:17 to Paris...

Hi Legend

No real story really other than I tend not to take life seriously these days and as lifetrekker said, try to have a little fun every day. Stops me from suffering terminal brain freeze when watching the never ending chaos on the news each morning – like America’s terminal inability to deal with the second amendment for example etc etc etc and the NRA’s solution being that to arm the teachers will solve the problem!!! And that’s coming from a lifetime shooter (me) who fell in love with firearms at the age of 13. When choosing a profile photo it therefore seemed rather appropriate to translate all that into some pictorial form ie. Donnald Duck running away in obvious panic. Other than that, I’m fairly normal – although the wife wouldn’t necessarily agree.

Why not stop watching the news, since a lot of it is fabricated or “modded”. I have stopped watching television for a year now and i couldn’t be happier. Just like social media is manipulating your mind, so does the television.
I know this sounds a bit like i am conspiracy theorist. But it has been proven that social media makes people dumber. And it has been proven that it manipulated the brexit and the presidential election.

I am putting my aluminum hat back on now.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Okay, so where does one purchase Alum? You know, just in case my other technique doesn't work.

Also, what is a good source for a replacement spring bar for this bracelet of the appropriate size?

And on the other topics, personally, I try to keep the discussion of politics and religion out of my watch threads. Not that I don't have strong opinions on both, believe me, I do, and I actually love discussing them too, it's just that they are so devisive, I find it better to try and civilly discuss them on another platform. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 1

I was also thinking because it's a bracelet pin, maybe it's just filthy and dirt is holding it in there. Boil the hell out of it and see if that frees it up?!

• Like 1

I was also thinking because it's a bracelet pin, maybe it's just filthy and dirt is holding it in there. Boil the hell out of it and see if that frees it up?!
The bracelet was basically brand new and still in the plastic wrap a couple of weeks ago, so I don't think dirt is a big issue in this case. But it would definitely be a consideration with other bracelets I've worked on. Definitely nasty buggers some of them!