When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case Options for a 1680 Build

LifeTrekker

So, if one wanted to build a rep of the Rolex 1680, what cases are there available out there that are both A, relatively inexpensive, as well as B, reasonably accurate, or can be made reasonably accurate with a little case modding finesse? Or am I looking for a unicorn that doesn't exist?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would like to be all in for $1K or less on this first one, as this would be my first rep build. I don't plan on using any gen parts, or few gen parts, but I would like to use some of the best gen spec aftermarket parts available. I'd like to put a gen ETA movement in it, but I'm not opposed to using an Asian ETA clone if that would help bring me in under $1K. I know low budget builds like this are just a series of compromises.

So, what do you all think? Is it even possible to build a convincing 1680 for a grand?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hunt around on the forum for an MBK 1680, cost maybe $450. Then buy that pretty Red Sub dial that's for sale right now, $108. Get a set of Classic Watch Parts hands for $50 and have the MBK serviced and assembled by Misiekeped for another $250 or so. You're into it for well under a Grover and it will fool everyone but the pickiest of WIS (of which there really are very few).

That's the route I'm taking.