When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can Reps take a beating

ziax

Hi everyone,

I ride a motorbike and I'm going to be doing a franken build, I like to have my watch on while riding, but I have never spent so much money on a watch before, the total cost of this build is gonna be around £1500, I want to know if it'll be alright with the vibration of the road and on the bumps, my dad told me it should be shock proof, but I heard that the SA3135 movement can break.

If anyone can help me that'll be great.

Cheers

Freddie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you building? What do you ride?

Watch Out!

I'm building a ARF Rolex Datejust 36mm

Gen Dial
Gen White Gold Bezel
Gen date wheel
Polished and brushed to Gen spec
Serviced
And everything else that will keep the movement from breaking.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do the franken, unless something comes up then I'll probably buy a sub V7, it all just depends.

I'm only 18 I've only done CBT I can't go over 125cc, but I'm riding a Suzuki Intruder 2001 125cc.

Sounds like a nice build and on a 125 you’ll be fine! I could be a ($&@ and suggest you save the money for a bigger bike lol. Glwyb!

Watch Out!

Yeah hopefully I'll be able to do it I have an image on my phone (I'll upload it here) of what I want it to look like when it's done.

7f3d26dccbd1b254d810e752a7b8d047.jpg

I would like a bigger bike but I will have to pay around £600-£700 for a full licence and then sell my bike which is around £1500+ to get a bigger one, I don't need a bigger bike atm anyway I haven't been riding to long either only like 3 or 4 months so I'm really new to it.

I have had a cheap rep sub which I used to wear when I rode my bike and nothing happened to it, so I thought it would be alright, thanks for your reply much appreciated.

Cheers
Freddie

Thanks mate, I just went through that quite mental how it can take such a beating, gives me more confidence in buying reps!

Cheers

Freddie

Save a little more and you can buy a gen DJ for that money. 

Yeah but I'm thinking In doing this build within around 3 or 4 months and I won't be able to get the 116234 for no less than £3000 and I cannot afford that at all atm, it's weird because everyone thinks I'm rich but I ain't I think it's the clothes I wear and the way I speak, I speak a lot different than I do on messages lol.

Get a nice vintage DJ, you can always swap the dial out, plenty of gen dj dials about, obviously I’m not anti rep but it’s not worth putting that much into a franken when a gen is in reach. 

As soon as you said there's vintage gen DJs near that price I found one for £2250, which is quite cheap.

150222dc375f7cd404733037b0ae381b.jpg

If your patient you can get a head only for even less then just add a rep jubilee bracelet or whatever you fancy. 

If I was going to get just the head, I would buy a nice leather strap for it, I probably wouldn't put a rep bracelet on it because it wouldn't add up if you know what I mean with age of the head and the bracelet.
If your patient you can get a head only for even less then just add a rep jubilee bracelet or whatever you fancy. 

Ahh look what I found head for £1200 well I think I'll just save up for this now and put on a leather strap. Wow you have opened my eyes, I didn't realise you could get them for that price.

Thanks a lot

Don't worry, your watch is going to be a lot tougher than something a few bumps and jolts can affect, if it is well put together. 
Which watchsmith are you using for the project?

If I can do the project I'll use timpsons in UK, I asked them if they could service a Asia Clone SA3135 they said they can do it, but he said something about the crown if it falls out the movement will break? He said if it does that we will just give you your watch back broken, then he said there's no guarantees that it will come back working but usually it does come back working, it's all professionally done, but I didn't ask him about the mods yet, so he might not be able to do it, might have to send it off to a modder.

If I can do the project I'll use timpsons in UK, I asked them if they could service a Asia Clone SA3135 they said they can do it, but he said something about the crown if it falls out the movement will break? He said if it does that we will just give you your watch back broken, then he said there's no guarantees that it will come back working but usually it does come back working, it's all professionally done, but I didn't ask him about the mods yet, so he might not be able to do it, might have to send it off to a modder.

They don’t sound like they know how to handle an SA3135 movement well. A good modder will never cause the “crown to be broken” or whatever he meant.
I will suggest you try@ssteel instead he is in your zone.

• Like 1

They don’t sound like they know how to handle an SA3135 movement well. A good modder will never cause the “crown to be broken” or whatever he meant.

I will suggest you try[mention=50989]ssteel[/mention] instead he is in your zone.

I was going to go with him and still might if I can do the project, but when I heard I could get it done by a place like a shop it sounded quite promising, I will probably send it to SSTEEL when I'm ready to do it.

Thanks Al

I will suggest you try[mention=50989]ssteel[/mention] instead he is in your zone.

Hi Al, I think I got it wrong with the Crown being broken, it was something to do with the stem.

If I am wrong about the crown issue I'm very sorry for the confusion.

Hi Al, I think I got it wrong with the Crown being broken, it was something to do with the stem.

If I am wrong about the crown issue I'm very sorry for the confusion.

Crown, stem, a goat’s horn etc, none of them should be broken by a competent watchsmith ever. I do know of a watchsmith who has broken a toothpick by accident but that was somewhat acceptable.

• Like 1

Crown, stem, a goat’s horn etc, none of them should be broken by a competent watchsmith ever. I do know of a watchsmith who has broken a toothpick by accident but that was somewhat acceptable.

Ok so it seems they don't know how to handle it that well, I'm gonna get it done by ssteel.

Thanks for your replies Al, it was much appreciated!

Cheers
Freddie

• Like 1