When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC to 16800

Tobliteration

Hey guys,

I have a beautiful TC V6 which I love and wear everyday even over my gen Tudor BBR but my grail watch is a 1983 16800.

I am considering having Ado or jmb drill the lugs and do the appropriate engravings between the lugs. I will also have a open 6&9 date disk added.

I will leave the dial for now as I guess it could have been added as a service dial??

Any thought on whether I should do this or keep her as is? ec946ab3c0b1bcd1a850d61c0c0286b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had Justin drill out my lugs on my old TC build and he did a excellent job. I am currently looking for another modder capable of the same job on my JF since Justin isn't taking in any new work until later this year. Is there another CONUS modder that anyone can refer?

• Like 1

You can always get the correct 16800 case and use a 2892 movement with the correct adaptor. Then you will have the right profile as well as the correct repair for a 16800. Hate to be a stickler but the TC case will
Work for a 16610 not so much a 16800. PM if you are interested in a case. Hope it’s ok to post like this.

• Like 1

@Ephry73 is right; the  TC (and gen) 16610 cases have deep rehaut, whereas the gen 16800 has shallow rehaut. Startime 3035 cases are perfect for 16800 builds, but those cases are rare.

If you drill lug holes into a 16610 case, then your watch can look like a Y-series or earlier (depending if you use SEL / hollow end link bracelet, or tritium / superluminova dial)

Edited by godkiller

Correct GK. The case I was talking about Janine if the earlier ST3035 cases. Has been worked and lugs beveled and the holes enlarged and beveled correctly and crown guards reshaped as well as other gen parts added plus engraved. This with the correct adapter and a nicely serviced 2892 can’t be beat or better a gen 3035 movement.

Thanks for all the info guys!
What if I was to just do the lug holes and date wheel to the open 6&9 it will be correct for an R-serial (1988) with “service dial
And hands” ? I can live with this.. but the question remains: should I [censored] with something that is already great?? I’m torn as Im in no position currently to by expensive ST cases, dials, movements etc..

Censorship on Tapatalk??? Wtf?

The rehaut depth will drive you nuts once you make all the changes. Trust me. Been there done that. Let the TC case be what it is and do it right, or drill holes and make it a proper 16610 with lug holes. But a 16800 needs the thinner shallow rehaut.

• Like 1

@ephry73 I will take your advice and let the TC case be what it is.
I will have the lugs drilled and y serial numbers engraved and leave the rest as is..

Right on. If Neckyzips is still around he does amazing pantograph work.

ST3035 case vs TC V2 case(rehaut engravings buffed out) and a BP 16660 for comparison. The ST3035 is my 16800 rendition. I wear it on a 93250 bracelet for daily wear and have a decent 93150 for those days I want more accuracy and rattle lol.
As you can see there is a difference in the angle and depth of the rehaut. Subtle, but it’s there.

b2538221096b6dbd37d10ed84c47f51b.jpg
a1b3891476ec0787112af3ce432f539e.jpg3e2c13de5d223cacd0c4367a58644ad6.jpg
29f93932c43412c633caf0e40b069023.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
If you drill the JF case it will still be a 16610- just with lugholes.

If I buy the jf case and I remove the rehaut, I have a 16800 no?
But my question is... The holes will do in the right position? And not more up or left.. Etc...

• 4 weeks later...
Yes! The Problem is the modder if there are good are the result good...
I come from germany and here is a good one...

But in UK or US are very good modder...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Who did your work..? I still haven’t done anything

A modder in germany from a other forum!

Yes you can make the same with the jf submariner!

He has in over 10 watches drilled lugs ! I have a watch smith too but he can the wrong chinese lug size make to to real only (but with no lugs in case the other guy makes this for me)!

Yes a TC or JF case with drilled lugs are a 16610 woth lugs,because the rehaut is to big,you can mod this or take the startime case for a 16800!

If I buy the jf case and I remove the rehaut, I have a 16800 no?
But my question is... The holes will do in the right position? And not more up or left.. Etc...

No, you’ll have a case you can’t use with your current dial and movement.

A modder in germany from a other forum!

Yes you can make the same with the jf submariner!

He has in over 10 watches drilled lugs ! I have a watch smith too but he can the wrong chinese lug size make to to real only (but with no lugs in case the other guy makes this for me)!

Yes a TC or JF case with drilled lugs are a 16610 woth lugs,because the rehaut is to big,you can mod this or take the startime case for a 16800!

Starting hasn’t had the 16800/3035 cases in a few years. Very hard to find.