When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Installing Athaya Lume Pip?

e30m3

I'm doing a 5513 and want the lume on the bezel pip to match the "aged" look of the hands and dial, so I bought a Clark bezel assembly and an Athaya lume pip. I popped the pearl out of the Clark insert, which came out with metal "basket" and lume pip together. How do I separate the two in order to install the Athaya pip into the Clark "basket" after I fill the Athaya pip with lume? I can't find a good tutorial online.

Thanks!

An insert that uses a pip with metal surround (basket) is for newer models.  A 4-digit Submariner (551x) will not have the metal surround.  Its pip is mounted directly into a hole in the insert.  Consequently the inserts have different size holes.

If you're feeling brave you can drill out the existing pip.  Then mix some epoxy and add a dab of tint (like burnt umber) and place a drop into the drilled opening.  It looks remarkably like the real deal.

Toss the basket and insert the athaya pearl directly into the hole. I just pushed my pip into the hole. I should really fill the pearl with paint. 20180306_110550.thumb.jpg.4706e12a079f8c00c9450edcfcf74e5f.jpg

• Like 1