When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 DRSD- Crown question

SUK

HI,

I'm starting to sourcing parts to mod my 1665 DRSD (cartel base). And I have a question regarding the crown (maybe a stupid question).

Which crown/model is the right one for that watch? I see people who uses the Athaya 700, some uses Athaya 702, and some a gen 703.

Any Help would be thankful.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

703 and possibly even 704 is now used as service crown. The 700 was to my knowledge the one installed back ik the days and some later serials probably also 702. no guarantee tho. However, the athaya 700 is very nice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 700 crown and tube would be ok for a DRSD, but a 702 crown and tube is correct for a GWSD. By the time the GWSD came out, the 700 crown and tube had been replaced by the 702 triplock assembly. And of course anything that had been serviced could easily have a 703 crown and tube.

• Like 1

A 700 crown and tube would be ok for a DRSD, but a 702 crown and tube is correct for a GWSD. By the time the GWSD came out, the 700 crown and tube had been replaced by the 702 triplock assembly. And of course anything that had been serviced could easily have a 703 crown and tube.

Thanks!

I believe I posted this before somewhere on the forum:

I put an Athaya 700 'no dot' crown on a project watch for someone a while back and the case tube that was supplied with the crown would not screw into the case with oem standard 3.0mm x .35mm threads because the Athaya thread pitch was off a little bit.  I ended up using a WSO 990 case tube but it would not screw into the case at first although the thread pitch was correct.  I measured the OD of the WSO case tube and it was a hair too big so I polished the threads lightly with Simichrome polishing compound on a stiff 1 inch felt buff in a Dremel tool and it screwed in just fine.  The WSO case tube appeared to be high quality and it was made out of stainless steel...eBay item number  161058556624.

I just now looked at the WSO 700 case tubes on eBay and they are $50 each or $130 for 3.  That's a lot of $$ but it might get you out of a jam.

I do not know if this is always the story with the Athaya 700 case tube but iirc this has problem come up before with a few choosing to rethread the case...not the best fix imho. 

Rule 97:  Make the part fit the watch, do not make the watch fit the part.   :pimp:

Suk do you have already a thin crown on your jkf, why do you want change it ?

try to show a pics of your crown in this 3D I'm curious about other opinion..

hi Dan71,

I am just asking really know if it is worth doing it and to know how accurate the watch is. Another member of another forum told me, that the crowns now are much better and closer to originals as before (as you saw), but not yet perfect. He had the opinion, that it is worth changing it. In fact a new crown does not cost a lot.

Suk this is your crown and for me is already a 702 ..
Or I’m wrong ?
29556b8493b3f9bae1c6a01f93224d1b.jpg&key=51eb4d8bd764c0d4ba4ff944ff73b85e167ee307bbe7a6b63d93cee8268b9e22
c294ccd9e4a4c0e1c201ce2f447ee952.jpg&key=96d9601f313e5327570dad1658721cceccb38f2e4414c7afd0e66bf9d0782a1e

Hi,

It is really close to a 702... but bevels are not right and the logo crown is much worse.

As you said, and knowing what I know now, the crown is not a priority, cause what I have is pretty good... but in the future I will probably go for a 700.

• Like 1