When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

In need of some help with a MilSub 5517

blackwaterseal

Hey gents not to get to deep into things but, recently my wife was diagnosed with kidney caner. Because of this I am forced to sell of some items, and my watches are what I have deemed to go. I have already decided on everything I am selling... there is one watch that I have lost all data on.

Its a Milsub 5517 that was bought from @TheSociety when he was doing one of his purges. I did not think I would ever sell the watch but, as mentioned some stuff has to go to get some funds and this is one of them. I had all the specs on it saved in my PM's on the RWI board but like everything [censored] happens. Back when the RWI site crashed a year or so ago, all my PM's and all old threads that had access to was lost.

I was told I would probably have a hard to selling it without all the specs... and I am sure that is correct. Back when thesociety listed this watch many people were after it, and a lot of members even contacted me after I was able to buy it. Again, I have no idea who those members were since all my PM's were lost...  I also know this isnt RWI, but I assume many members cross over boards.

With that said, I am hoping I can post some pictures and someone here maybe able to recall either seeing it, was one of those members who were after it, or someone could assist in the details around it. Possibly know if it was listed someplace else! Because I am not a "pro" and have been away for a while, I can not remember a lot of what I learned either...

I am posting some pics of the watch... If I recall the watch was build by a member here who is known for doing "worn" vintage watches. This did have an ETA movement and if memory serves me correct, the hands are actually Gen Omega hands. Beyond that, Im at a total loss...

If anyone can assist in helping identify who built it, see parts that are a dead giveaway, or really give me anything at all to help move it, I would be truly greatful.

At the time, I paid well over $775 for it... Just trying to spark anything in a members mind that they may remember this watch.

I have reached out to thesociety and I can not seem to get in touch with him. I know he goes through a lot of watches, so he may not even recall the specs? I do have a few PM's (in my email) that somehow saved with interaction between us, but again... nothing stating the actual details.

Thanks in advance guys... like I said, I appreciate any and all help.

If anyone can provide assistance, I would appreciate it as I really do need to sell it as I am in a crappy situation.

39955701444_24c5d6cc75_k.jpg

39955700564_7d1db48dc3_k.jpg

26794364798_04bcfbf136_k.jpg

39955702484_baf42c2bb2_k.jpg

26794365218_bab438853d_k.jpg

39955702994_be954b37b4_k.jpg

26794364078_dca1adaec6_k.jpg

Very sorry to hear about your situation.

Can only offer a few pointers to the build based on your shots. Everything else would be just speculation.

The bezel insert looks to be Helenarou.

Looks like the springbars have been added to the midcase at a later date. Generally they should be a tight-flush fit, so maybe the midcase started life as a 5513? Are there any engravings between the lugs? Case back engravings look pretty good though.

If you have the means to remove the case back i.e. with a “sticky ball”. We’d be able to confirm if it’s a gen ETA movement, if not, likely as not it will be a ETA 2836 clone.

Crown and tube may well be from Athaya. Do you have a close up shot of the crown unscrewed?

Ok!  Well that was easy!  Should out for the ducktape tip.  Here are more detailed pics on the movement etc...

Still no @TheSociety...  Brother, any assistance would be so much appreciated.

Lume

26991337448_4d63ac55b7_k.jpg

Case, Dial, and Hands

26991337058_e8ee8049dd_k.jpg

26991337338_e9ff42335b_k.jpg

26991336458_b9c0c5abab_k.jpg

26991337198_d52d467a1c_k.jpg

Crown

40820118162_a188ff665a_k.jpg

Movement, Stem, Internals

40820117762_0da90e5a09_k.jpg

26991336618_d706284e94_k.jpg

26991336358_0ab716c7eb_k.jpg

Edited by blackwaterseal

Well, the case has been poorly “aged” you don’t get scratches like that naturally. As mentioned before the fixed springbars should be a flush tight fit. They don’t look it, are they loose?

Good news is the movement is a gen ETA 2824-2. The rotor is a mis-match though and a little grubby. It really should be silver to match the rest of the movement. The 2824-2 movement itself has a higher beat rate than what would be period correct, an ETA 2846 would have been a better choice.

Unfortunately, judging from the shots, it looks like you paid a little more than the watch is probably worth. Here's a build – by no means perfect – I sold in 2016, to give feel for the market:

Here’s a link for details about your 2824-2 movement:
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&ETA_2824_2

Hey @jackflash, thanks for the input!  The bars are not loose at all...  As for the rest of it, maybe I overpaid-maybe I didnt?  I do know there were several others in on the watch after I was in.  Really wish I had those original threads.  Sadly, its not gonna happen... It also doesnt seem like thesociety is going to chime in either at this point.  Its not the end of the world.  I am just in need of funds due to family health stuff so thats the reason I am selling.

In saying that...  If someone makes an offer at some point we will see what I want to do.

Thank you for your help and feedback, it is very much appreciated.  

**If anyone else remembers this watch/has any info on it, I would appreciate the help!

Do you remember the month and year you bought it? If you do, go to the Internet Archive Wayback Machine and look it up. There's a fair chance it's there.

Hmmmmm. Or maybe not.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060715000000*/www.replica-watch.info

Well, the case has been poorly “aged” you don’t get scratches like that naturally. As mentioned before the fixed springbars should be a flush tight fit. They don’t look it, are they loose?

Good news is the movement is a gen ETA 2824-2. The rotor is a mis-match though and a little grubby. It really should be silver to match the rest of the movement. The 2824-2 movement itself has a higher beat rate than what would be period correct, an ETA 2846 would have been a better choice.

Unfortunately, judging from the shots, it looks like you paid a little more than the watch is probably worth. Here's a build – by no means perfect – I sold in 2016, to give feel for the market:
[/url] Here’s a link for details about your 2824-2 movement:
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&ETA_2824_2

I have recently purchased two 2824s like that that were sold as high-end and have the Novodiac shock springs, Mine also have mis-matched rotors but it is branded BTC. They are very good movements. Amp approaches 300 in all positions. They are offered on the Bay now.

Hey guys I did NOT build this watch. I bought it from a Member in the UK ages ago BEFORE I started building. I don’t remember all the details except that it was an awesome watch and I paid around $850 or $900 for it. The builder / original owner spent $1200 or so on the build. Sorry I can’t be more helpful but it’s been three years. I would remember more if I had built it but I didn’t. That being said it is a great watch and I do remember that the ad says it was an ETA with verification photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2
  • Haha 1