When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Planing Steve McQueen 1655 Project

The Sardinian

Hi Guys,

Im Planing to Steve McQueen Projects

1 Short term with Cartel Base /Eta

1 long term with Gen Parts

for the Short Therm i Choose a

Ruby Dial 

Tiger Hands

aftermaket Bezel ( Ruby Bezel, is out of stock Yukis is ceased production)

For the  long Therm Projekt i Plan 

Ruby Case

Gen Dial and Hands 

Gen Bracelet 

Gen Movement 

Gem Crown

any advices where i get a Gen Movement for this Project?

also if anyone have an advise is there an alternative option for the Phong Bezel? 

Hope to get a little bit inspiration and motivation for this two projects.

I am not an expert but the 1570 is for 3 hand models...sub and explorer 1016 up until the 80's

The 1575 had the added 4th hand gmt feature  for the gmt master and exp II   

you could most likely buy the gmt parts and have them added to the movement 

Here is some info on the 1570/5 to GMT conversion:

https://rwg.cc/topic/114671-rolex-1575-gmt-movement-questions

Parts needed to convert 1570 w/date to GMT:

#8038 - center second pinion 5.70mm

#8037 - Cannon Pinion 3.39mm

#8039 - double tooth hour wheel 2.44mm

#8040 - 24hr wheel 1.41mm

#8035 - Calendar Wheel nut

#8036 - Date Jumper

#8006 - Yoke for cam

#8008 - spring for cam yoke

#8011 - stud for cam

#8030 - Center wheel with Cannon Pinion (or just the center wheel if you have the CP listed above).

#8034 - Calendar wheel (same as date movement afaik).

8034, 8035, and 8011 are listed in a group on the Rolex sheets.

The calendar spacer is not listed, p/n 7965 (iirc there is more than one p/n for this part).

Plus two cases of Jack Daniels and about $2000 as I have said before.   :pimp:

Shimming the date disc seat (calendar spacer) would be the low $$ way to go. The difference between the two movements is about 0.17mm overall and iirc the GMT spacer is about .1mm thicker than a regular date spacer.

In reality the sweep second pinion is the same for no date, date, and GMT movements...the tubes on the second hands are made longer for the date movement and longer still for the GMT movement.  Hard to find a GMT length ss hand in aftmkt parts although some aftmkt ss hands come with long tubes and they need to be shortened for date and no date movements.

There is also an aftmkt 'shortcut' GMT kit for a 1570/5 to GMT conversion with a modified minute wheel that has a 24 hour drive gear added to it plus a 24 hour wheel but you still need the genuine GMT canon pinion, hour wheel, and center wheel to give enough room for the 24 hour hand between the dial and 12 hour hand.  Might need to space the dial up a hair too.  The 24 hour wheel fit (on top of the 12 hour wheel) is usually a bit sloppy and I have not seen these kits for sale in a few years.  If they were properly made, they would have been a little better.

Here is a picture of a shortcut kit (top pic):

https://rwg.cc/topic/141303-cal-1570-gmt-tell-me-if-i-m-wrong/

Hard to believe the picture is still up.

• Like 2

Here is something else to think about:

An all genuine rolex 1575 GMT movement with fine looking plates (no obvious scratches or corrosion), good screw heads etc will sell for about as much as a complete Frankenstein 1655 or 1675 GMT watch with a genuine rolex 1575 GMT movement no matter who made the case and dial (genuine dial/hands will go higher of course).  For this reason it might be a good idea to maybe drop down a few notches and go to a swisseta 2846 GMT movement with an old type Asian non adjustable 24H hand conversion.  These conversions are simple and trouble free in my experience.

Complete 1575 GMT movements went for $1200 or $1500 about 25 years ago but now they are twice that much or more because RWC cut most of the parts off to convert a regular 1570/5 to a GMT.  That and the fact that a 1675 GMT is around $8k and a 1655 is around $12k now (or more).  Back then they were $3k or $4k and the 1655 was not much hotter than a 1675.

Example:

Here is a '1570' GMT movement for $3650 on eBay but it is really a 1565 GMT movement, not a 1575 GMT movement going by the 1560/5 'curb feeler' over the balance wheel and the regulator.  It does have a 1570 auto-wind top plate though.  Also no way to know if it even has a 24H hand because all the pictures are of the back side and ends.  Buyer beware.

eBay item number  263554434524

Some smile and cruise through life.

Some stagger and struggle.

Some get rich.

Some go broke.

...and some get whacked.   :pimp:

Thank you Guys!

this is much more complicated than i expected.

for me is the feeling with a gen 1570 that what i need...an ETA will never be the same.

i Just ordered a Couple of Parts like Vietnam Insert and a Very Good dial and tiger hands. these i‘l Use the watch from Josh

C0B8173D-C11D-4131-BFC9-984CA0C2D3AB.jpeg

0AAFCF33-2CFA-45CF-AFB4-72836483B7AD.jpeg

Edited by The Sardinian
  • Like 1

The cartel case needs some serious metal removal to get it close to the gen. If you touch base with Ado who has his own section on the forum here he may be able to help you out. He has a precision engineering company and did a fantastic job on one of my previous 1655 builds. Actually you might also want to consider going the 2846 slow beat route and see if helenarou can still supply the GMT parts. You will need to remove the adjustable gmt hand function to make it as close to the gen 1575 movement.

Good luck with the bu

I am finishing up my 1655 build. I had some movement complications. But I did the case work on the cg side. If you are gonna do it yourself. Take your time and measure frequently to see how close you are.

I used the bezel as a guide and my case tuned our pretty good. I’ll post pics later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, denimhead said:

The cartel case needs some serious metal removal to get it close to the gen. If you touch base with Ado who has his own section on the forum here he may be able to help you out. He has a precision engineering company and did a fantastic job on one of my previous 1655 builds. Actually you might also want to consider going the 2846 slow beat route and see if helenarou can still supply the GMT parts. You will need to remove the adjustable gmt hand function to make it as close to the gen 1575 movement.

Good luck with the bu

Thanks man!

did you use the 2846 in your Project? Sounds interesting!

Yep its a great base for one of these builds. You just need to make sure that you buy a 2mm pinion size 24hr hand for the GMT parts NOT the 1.8mm hand

Just to mention that the cartel dial in the rep you've bought actually has a very good version of the mk6 Beyeler dial, the dial you've bought is a mk3 rail dial, which should have T SWISS T at the bottom of the dial so not quite right. Might be worth sticking with the cartel one. 

120024-f6c0289f27a4ad20defdbd1d0d5b9891.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...