When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6542 bezel

Pete Sinclair

Thanks for all the information folks its been really useful. Just to let you know I heard nothing back from NDT trading so presumably they no longer around. In the end I plumped for a bezel set from ebay that alligoat pointed me to. They look pretty good and what I liked is they come with two inserts a Pepsi & a faux bakelite, so I have  a choice to wear. He also offers a no quibble returns if your not happy (apparently). Seems a decent guy I threw a number of questions at him which he answered very quickly. His trading name is tt6204vintage. I suspect he may be known to some on the forum already as apparently he has over 50 happy customers lol. Anyway I'll let you know the quality and post some pics when it arrives . Thanks again for all your help Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Hi JsebWC , not sure what’s going on with the replies but the above is out of sync and refers to NDT who never got back to me. Anyway in respect of the bezel I was hoping to have it in my possession as my relative was going to bring it over to the UK last month, unfortunately the trip has been delayed so I have to wait until the end of May ? , sorry it’s a shame as I’m desperate to have it. As soon as it’s in my possession I promise I’ll post pictures. On another subject a few guys / gals were asking about Ruby from Ruby’s watches. I have managed to make contact with her within the last week by posting a question through the Ruby’s Watches website. She got back to me the following day , in case anyone’s interested regards Pete

That’s too bad. I look fwd to seeing it done when you receive it.

I just got my new insert from@tripdog.
It’s great and is the finishing touch
I finally consider this build done and I could t be happier !!
e1b14b1111e827a61715120cad1469c7.jpg20069adb36303d10b8ca974ab7878832.jpg
98828e37d3ad9e947669e9b180fe316a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

That’s too bad. I look fwd to seeing it done when you receive it.

I just got my new insert from[mention=45023]tripdog[/mention].
It’s great and is the finishing touch
I finally consider this build done and I could t be happier !!
e1b14b1111e827a61715120cad1469c7.jpg&key=f23b8efa0bbf270f8925edbbf0ede1d0793ca513cb39c0595ff19683bd677ffd20069adb36303d10b8ca974ab7878832.jpg&key=3d7746c03264184ac9b5e96aeb7f208b4253fa57494e1a9ffecea9a626c92875
98828e37d3ad9e947669e9b180fe316a.jpg&key=ef7381cb28b1bb3f0a2e217752507342a06329de23f6885db919a6f8a53d0812

Wow that looks amazing, no wonder you’re pleased! Just hope mine can stack up against that! Just finishes it off to near as dammit perfection

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Bezel Update
So the bezel set arrived . Overall I’m very happy with the package with a slight reservation. So this is what you get in the pack; the brass (Nickel plated) bezel with spring fitted; spare spring; plus another wire ( presumably to make up another spring if required) which is handy, two different crystal retaining rings of different thicknesses; a very nice replica Bakelite insert and the bonus of an extra faux faded Pepsi insert. First the good, the bezel looks well engineered although not perfect it’s pretty close. The Bakelite (I’ll call it) looks amazing, but here’s the not so good, the insert does not fit tightly in the bezel so would require glueing. For me something like contact adhesive (so removal would be possible later ) would be required. Not ideal and a bit of a faff but to me this scenario may be preferable as I may want to occasionally change the inserts and I could foresee a problem if the insert was too tight a fit and being plastic it could be liable to breaking when trying to pop it out and bang goes the look. So not a deal breaker for me . If you don’t want to change out the inserts and keep the Bakelite look, then not an issue really, just glue it and forget about it. So in truth I personally find that perfectly acceptable all things considered. I’ve no doubt not everybody will see it that way and may want to look elsewhere . Note the Bakelite is also luminous (see picture).The Pepsi style insert fits in tight as it should but obviously being aftermarket it is not the quality of the genuine article, (as expected) and it’s quite thin and flexible, so inserting and removing on a regular basis could possibly distort it I suspect, but it does the job. It’s not really to my taste although they’ve made a reasonable attempt at the fonts (not hooked 2’s etc) it’s just about passable. I prefer to get a genuine Pepsi insert in any event and fit that. As I mentioned the bezel itself is decent quality. It fitted over the original 6542 crystal retaining ring ok with a bit of manipulation with a nice solid click but it’s a bit tight to click turn the bezel easily. I have read on the web where others also with genuine 6542’s have used aftermarket bezel assemblies and ended up having to use the crystal retaining rings supplied with them for it function correctly as the original was very slightly too big , or should I say the replacement is too small. I believe I have the same scenario, so will attempt that at a later date via my watch repairer.  All in all I’m very happy with the look of the set despite the issues I’ve mentioned. My honest opinion from what I've seen is Joeyb's on this forum would be be better, but I can't grumble as it has an added insert and spare. It’s certainly better than staring down at a crystal retaining ring and it does give a beautiful watch that authentic look, (albeit non original). This would otherwise be almost impossible to achieve nowadays unless you want to pay the insane prices  (£5,800 the eBay asking price presently for just a bare bezel ! ) Double that for a decent Bakelite if you could ever find one! I’ve attached a few pictures showing both inserts. You can make your own minds up as to whether they'd fit the bill for your particular project if you're in the market for one. Hope this is of use. PM me if you want all the dimensions of the parts. All the best Pete

Bakelite_bezel_shot.thumb.png.766dfbf5b4620997e0746dbd9bd448af.png

Window bakelite shot7.png

outdoors_Pepsi_shot.png

Outdoor_Pepsi_shot_2.png

Bezel_set_shot.png

Bakelite_in_UV.png

Luminous shot.png

Edited by Pete Sinclair
  • Like 3

If you look closely at many of the genuine 6542s with the Perspex insert, they have 'crimps' spaced around the bezel holding in the insert. I've been told by several gen owners that my Lexan insert 'snaps' in their bezels, but I always recommend using an adhesive to secure the insert. The aftermarket is expensive, and a good condition gen insert is absurd. I use RTV, it does not interfere with the paint on the insert, and have had no failures yet. 

• Like 1

It has finally arrived!!   Looks great Pete!!  Like with most things After Market  the fit is not perfect and these bezels for some reason are not Gen type fit for some reason.  I guess it is because of the shape and material of the insert  (less clearance for the proper retaining ring?)  no clue.   The clarks bezel assemblies for the 1675 are gen in fit and appearance 

I would suggest not using a solvent based glue on your insert as it could likely strip the paint for the underside of the of the insert when removing it.   My new insert was  just a shade too small and I had used Dial dots to attach the insert to the bezel...strong enough to hold it in place but not likely to strip any paint when swapping inserts.   I can send you a few if you need them....

Congrats on getting your beautiful timepiece to its former glory.... Wear it well!! 

• Like 1

If you look closely at many of the genuine 6542s with the Perspex insert, they have 'crimps' spaced around the bezel holding in the insert. I've been told by several gen owners that my Lexan insert 'snaps' in their bezels, but I always recommend using an adhesive to secure the insert. The aftermarket is expensive, and a good condition gen insert is absurd. I use RTV, it does not interfere with the paint on the insert, and have had no failures yet. 

Thanks Joeyb I have seen those with the cutouts on the vintage forum website , so that makes sense . Thanks for the advice, forgive my ignorance RTV ? Thanks Pete

Hi JSebWC thanks , it’s taken a while lol. Thanks for your sound advice which I’ll look into. That’s very generous of you for the offer but don’t worry I’ll get some over here across the pond!. Thanks for the encouragement to achieve my aim. Wear yours in good health. Kind regards Pete

• Like 1

RTV silicone sealer. I use Permatex black because the back of the insert is painted black. Silicone sealer doesn't melt plastic, is easily cleaned off wet or dry, and is easy to remove if you need to change the insert or position. I just rub my thumb on it. 

Fine looking watch!

In the past 25 years I have seen ONE original 6542.  A Bluegrass fiddle player/watch trader friend bought it for a few hundred bucks 8 or 10 years ago from the original owner's family.

Having seen only one 'original' in 25 years, I could live with a bezel insert that was a little bit out of spec, aluminum or 'Perspex' because no one other than a dyed in the wool 6542 collector/enthusiast would know the difference.  Most watch guys have never even seen one up close.

I vote for the Perspex.

Back when there were a few 6542 around at affordable prices, no one was much interested in them.

I remember another friend paying $1200 for a 5510 and we (local traders) thought he paid too much.  Then he paid $2400 for a super nice 1655.  Same response...we all thought he paid too much. 

• Like 1

Hi automatico, thank you very much. Some really interesting anecdotes .I agree with your comments in regards to the average joes knowledge of the reference . I have to say it’s gone absolutely crazy with all the watches you mentioned although they are beautiful things to have. I guess it’s just supply and demand and people want these beautiful and amazing timepieces . I’m extremely lucky and I agree with you as my preferred option will definitely be the bakelite style. Who knows I may decide never to swop it over with a Pepsi one but it’s a great dilemma to have, regards Pete

• 3 weeks later...