When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6542 bezel

Pete Sinclair

What a stunner. That came out gorgeous! :tu:

I wore my 1675 GMT on an aftermarket Jubilee for years and just couldn't like it. Something was off. Then a very generous chap here gave me a genuine Jubilee and it's like magic. It works even though there's no visible difference between the two. There's something about the gen that your brain will recognize even if your eye doesn't.

Jubilees are still cheap on fleabay, see if you can find one before the prices go up. The difference is remarkable.

• 1 year later...

Hi Rob

Congratulations on your very nice inheritance! Your grandfather had great taste! That looks like a great dial, and original hand set, obviously unusual to see a sub bezel fitted ,obviously the reason for your search. The sub bezel must be worth a tidy bit. That also looks like it could well be a Gay Freres bracelet which are quite rare.

I don’t know if you read the earlier part of the thread about my experience and thoughts on the purchase from eBay . It’s at the top of this thread. I basically stuck with that aftermarket “Fakelite “bezel. It is by no means perfect but does look nice as it looks like how the originals darken over time. There is a guy who often pops up on eBay from the states who makes his own very authentic looking bezels for around $370. There’s also a guy on RWC ( I think his names JoeyB it’s in the thread) who makes some nice ones. Who like the guy who makes his own on eBay manages to make them look weathered and are very good. I also managed to get an original service bezel and aluminium Pepsi insert so I can swop them around with either a jubilee or rivet bracelet. I was also lucky to pick it up for only £800 for both which was a good deal. Real Bakelites are way out of my price range starting at £10,000 ! I hope you get on well in your search. May I respectfully suggest you join and post on Vintage Rolex Forum if not done already. You’ll get a great deal of interest and great advice from the great members on there . Above all don’t touch anything leave it all as is except the bezel of course ! Anyway get back in touch if you want to know more.
Kind regards Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually was referred to an eBay seller of Bakelite repros today from this site. I purchased onefor $450 (not cheap but options are limited) and he is local in the LA area. The pictures look good, I am optimistic it will really bring the watch back to its original look. I am either going to find an authentic 7206 Rivet bracelet for it , or I may put a vintage style brown leather band . Another option is a black Everest rubber band for practically and wearability. 

The dial and hands are in very very good shape, and have a nice vintage look to them. I was originally thinking of selling this watch to buy a couple of 16710 GMT ‘s for my father and I as a tribute to my Grandfather. The problem is, I am falling in love with this watch. 

Here is a photo of my Grandfather wearing the watch in 1965

284119B8-D1C2-4F9F-972F-1F6D3DF17CD2.jpeg

Excellent , sounds like the same guy from eBay probably. That’s inflation for you Great picture of your grandfather and the watch looks amazing, a real icon. I can understand your love for it . Enjoy wearing it in good health. You’ll find yourself looking down at your wrist a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk