When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Baking a dial in an oven - Tropical Dial Recipe

aprolexlover

Hey guys,

I'm been reading through a few forums on how to age a dial. But there isnt much information specifically, the best topic ive found so far on this mod is at this Omega Forum where by the author manage to bake his dial to tropical effect and it looks pretty sweet and consistent. However he did not share the oven settings and how he manage to do it.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/yikes-i-made-a-brown-tropical-speedmaster-dial.14993/

There is another member who suggested the oven setting is 225 in a fan assisted oven for around 15 minutes. I current have a matte Rolex dial but the tritium is white, I would like to age it a little. Has anyone attempted to bake their dial's in the oven before?

52 minutes ago, Nivka said:

It depends on the dial. Keep a very close eye on it. Give it 5 minute intervals. Take it out before you think it’s done, because it might keep cooking after it’s out

This is what I a was thinking about too. But do you know what oven setting and temperature should be the safest? 

Its a gen tritium service dial, so I can't make any mistakes. The lume is in pale yellow very close to white. And I need it to look slightly aged.

Another tactic is to use the sun.  I had to spend some time in Oklahoma during the summer and it was unbelievably hot out.  So I figured I'd take advantage of it.  The crystal and dial make a little "oven" right?  Leave it out in the sun and let it cook.

Voila' the tropical MBW Sea Dweller.

tropical_mbw.jpg

1 hour ago, Nanuq said:

Another tactic is to use the sun.  I had to spend some time in Oklahoma during the summer and it was unbelievably hot out.  So I figured I'd take advantage of it.  The crystal and dial make a little "oven" right?  Leave it out in the sun and let it cook.

Voila' the tropical MBW Sea Dweller.

tropical_mbw.jpg

Great idea too. I live in Malaysia and it's 32-34c daily, humid and hot, sunny weather year round. But I was thinking since the DW is white colour, would it leave patches of uneven burnt out surface on it?

how long it took you to get this tropical brown? Was it pitch black previously?

Hi there, I would not risk a gen dial in the oven without a proven recipe, no pun intended.

I am going to try turmeric (the brown spice) to age the lume markers.

I think you mix with water to the streng or shade you like and apply with a small brush.

I did it once with a cheap dial first to give it a try. Get a tip to use some coffee and bring it on with a small brush. I did dial and hands. Put it in the oven 200 celsius and keep a good eye on it. It depends on what you are using to get the aged effect i think. I had it in the oven for about 15 minutes for the dial and a few minutes less for the hands.

Found a few pics of the result.ST7qkdw.jpg?1Bn5CUeq.jpg?1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TAG Heuer said:

I did it once with a cheap dial first to give it a try. Get a tip to use some coffee and bring it on with a small brush. I did dial and hands. Put it in the oven 200 celsius and keep a good eye on it. It depends on what you are using to get the aged effect i think. I had it in the oven for about 15 minutes for the dial and a few minutes less for the hands.

Found a few pics of the result.ST7qkdw.jpg?1Bn5CUeq.jpg?1

I'm afraid this is not a good recipe to me. The lume has to age and look matte, but the Comex example lume looks baked, shiny, and crispy, it doesn't look anything natural like the Omega example I pointed out above. It's very obvious that the dial and hands was deliberately tempered. :X

much like this similar example as discussed in Rolex Forum.

bake.jpg

• Haha 1