When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tropical 6542 GMT Case detailing

JSebWC

Hey Guys.

I was googling 6542 gmt as one usually does when obsessed and I came across this listing from 10 past 10

http://10pastten.com/watch/ta718

Reading the description , a few things jumped out at me.

He claims that the case "has been recently detailed with correctly matted case sides and razor sharp large beveled edges."  Ive never seen any rolex with matted case sides before.  They have all had been polished...or where they all brushed from factory in the early days?  This case has been reworked , clearly but has anyone else ever seen an original with brushed sides?:g:

The Dial  is a T<.25  but it is a gilt dial.    The T<25 dials are known as service dials but  this one is gilt?  Never noticed or seen one before  and for it to be tropical and so evenly tropical also...the stars have aligned on this piece.:g:

That "bakealite" bezel is in amazing condition for an original, wouldn't you say?  :g:

Eric Ku has a good reputation in the Vintage Rolex Market  and has probably forgotten more about Rolex than I know but does anyone else find this kinda odd?  a replacement "gilt"  dial but original bezel ?

Anyway...it is definitely eye candy!  

ta718-01.jpg

ta718-02.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JoeyB said:

The bezel insert is not original nor genuine. The fonts are wrong. 

I agree with you Joey  The font is too fat.   it wouldn't make any sense if the bezel was original and original to the watch but the dial is a service piece?  a gilt service piece at that?

Also looking at the date wheel...looks to clean and crispy to me ..

I guess its okay to sell franken builds  in your watch shop as long as you have mostly originals and nobody knows the difference ...right??

• 1 month later...

Rolex made T<25 gilt 6542 dials very earlier, they exist and they cost around $6,000 USD in market value. There is one for sale recently in Tokyo Japan asking around 625k yen. It has a glossy background and yes its gilt.

Later 6542 service dials are printed in silver, and those with Certified Chronometer were later added as opposed to just Chronometer.

The 10past10 6542 tropical is gen except for the bakelite bezel.

On 4/27/2018 at 2:10 AM, aprolexlover said:

Rolex made T<25 gilt 6542 dials very earlier, they exist and they cost around $6,000 USD in market value. There is one for sale recently in Tokyo Japan asking around 625k yen. It has a glossy background and yes its gilt.

Later 6542 service dials are printed in silver, and those with Certified Chronometer were later added as opposed to just Chronometer.

The 10past10 6542 tropical is gen except for the bakelite bezel.

Interesting  I didnt think they made Gilt  t<25 dials. as service dials 

Alton Brown has a T<25 on his 6542 I noticed on Talking watches.   It looks like it may be a service dial but also looks kinda gilt5ae726b4c631d_altonbrown6542.thumb.jpg.5c3349c9d19f0671cfce01dbc66df984.jpg

Edited by JSebWC

49 minutes ago, JSebWC said:

Interesting  I didnt think they made Gilt  t<25 dials. as service dials 

Alton Brown has a T<25 on his 6542 I noticed on Talking watches.   It looks like it may be a service dial but also looks kinda gilt5ae726b4c631d_altonbrown6542.thumb.jpg.5c3349c9d19f0671cfce01dbc66df984.jpg

If its gloss, it should be gilt. Later 6542 service dials are matte and silver printed, sometimes they aged till a certain point where people mistaken them for gilt because of the patina. You'll have to see it in person.

I have 3 genuine tropical Rolex from 1974, 1963 and 1958. No way is that first picture "natural" tropical discoloration. There are always uneven tones of brown across the dial, exactly like MOAB's picture. Always.