When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5517 Milsub Project

Cross7

I think I’ve finally completed my 5517 milsub that has been through a few different incarnations.  It started as a complete HR (helenarou) milsub watch but I wasn’t happy with a number of things.

Mods that have been made:
Although the HR case does have fixed bars, they are the wrong diameter, being too narrow. I drilled them out and fitted correct spec 2mm stainless round bar. It is solid just using a press fit and didn’t require any soldering.

I fitted a Clarks Tropic 19 crystal which has a different profile to the HR crystal.

Although the HR bezel insert does have a serif font, the width of the bezel markers is noticeably too narrow. I bought an insert off eBay that has more accurate markings and still has a serif font. It turns out that it is a Phong insert. I swapped out the bezel pip, which was a bit strange looking, for an Athaya one, which I added aged lume to. 

The watch originally had the stock HR aged dial and hands which are good. However, I’ve always preferred the maxi dial, so I asked HR if they could get a maxi dial 5517 dial made. I have to say that dealing with them was excellent. They were able to get me a dial custom printed and  aged and the result is exactly what I was looking for. Custom printing by the dial factory was $95 + $49  for the dial + $25 for aging.

I got another set of hands to match and trimmed the end of the second hand which was too long. Unfortunately the minute hand and the second hand extend too far across the minute markers but I haven’t been able to source correctly sized hands, so this is not as accurate as I would like.

I then added an Athaya 702 crown and a Phoenix NATO in admiralty grey, as per original milsub issue.

Even though each mod adds a small change to the overall watch, I feel that the combination of them improves the feel and appearance of the watch over the stock watch.

I’m sure that there are things that could be further improved but for the moment I’m happy enough with the outcome of my first project.

C7A8EC0F-8A3D-409E-9656-21124FBEFDA4.jpeg

471C8CEC-39DE-43E8-9014-87BD7F5D5AFF.jpeg

E597E590-2589-43C6-9140-99889B1C5BFE.jpeg

98CD5D3B-AF89-41F0-A541-777AEC351EBC.jpeg

0022F2E8-7055-4B71-A6A2-43DDB706F2BD.jpeg

13E7674B-7E5A-4067-A47D-A05267083FD6.jpeg

7AA2A82A-212A-414C-A2AB-25BD5E3D5B5C.jpeg

8F6FA9AA-DEF6-4845-9F62-27D232D377DA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great build, I have worn a gen before.

The bezel insert is pretty good with serif but the font is slightly too thin. The hands seems a little odd to me where the lume seems to have been sitting quite far behind rather than almost flush with a gen. The hands also seems to be a smidge too thick.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, philwongnz said:

Great build, I have worn a gen before.

The bezel insert is pretty good with serif but the font is slightly too thin. The hands seems a little odd to me where the lume seems to have been sitting quite far behind rather than almost flush with a gen. The hands also seems to be a smidge too thick.

Cheers. Yes, it seemed to be virtually impossible to find correct hands and bezel insert for the milsub...unless I’m looking in the wrong places.

I’d love to see a gen in the flesh.

Cheers. Yes, it seemed to be virtually impossible to find correct hands and bezel insert for the milsub...unless I’m looking in the wrong places.
I’d love to see a gen in the flesh.
Where do you base? There are severals in Hong Kong on sale. Crazy prices tho.. Is around 2mil HKD now.

14 hours ago, philwongnz said:

Where do you base? There are severals in Hong Kong on sale. Crazy prices tho.. Is around 2mil HKD now.

I’m in the UK. Definitely beyond my meagre budget!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, philwongnz said:

where can you get good hands in HK ?  seriously there are no good after market hands for these for a ETA or ROLEX movement.

Cheers chaps.

Being a newbie, I learnt an awful lot when tackling this project, including how painful it is to drill into your own finger.

Loads of invaluable information on this forum gave me the confidence to give things a go, so huge thanks to all the experts.