When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wanted: Rolex vintage datejust (1601 1603 or other)

Svitzer

Welcome aboard! As a noob, you've got a lot of reading and catching up to do. But I will tell you this, a vintage Datejust is not an easy thing to find and it might cost a little more than a current model DJ rep. You need to check out the sales section which is newly reworked so is fairly short at this time and you need to see if there is something you like in the trusted dealers section. There are no reps of the 1600, 1601 and 1603s. The rep mfrs are making current models of the DJ, but not old DJs. You might find a 16013/16014 franken, but that will be more expensive, maybe around $750 and up depending on parts list. Lastly, you might consider buying a gen, the 1600 hasn't been made by Rolex in 38 years, so you might pick one up for $1500-2000usd. Good luck.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard! As a noob, you've got a lot of reading and catching up to do. But I will tell you this, a vintage Datejust is not an easy thing to find and it might cost a little more than a current model DJ rep. You need to check out the sales section which is newly reworked so is fairly short at this time and you need to see if there is something you like in the trusted dealers section. There are no reps of the 1600, 1601 and 1603s. The rep mfrs are making current models of the DJ, but not old DJs. You might find a 16013/16014 franken, but that will be more expensive, maybe around $750 and up depending on parts list. Lastly, you might consider buying a gen, the 1600 hasn't been made by Rolex in 38 years, so you might pick one up for $1500-2000usd. Good luck.

Thanks for the informative reply, very helpful!! Will also look for a newer model DJ in that case. Really like the 36mm size datejusts.

You might check out the ARF Datejust 36mm 116234- silver dial, fluted bezel and a jubilee bracelet. I'd get it with the eta clone 2836-2 or the 2824-2- I don't recommend the Rolex clone movements unless you're up for a challenge. The Asian 21j movements are ok if you get a good one, but the etas are easier to service and more reliable IMO.

20 hours ago, alligoat said:

Lastly, you might consider buying a gen, the 1600 hasn't been made by Rolex in 38 years, so you might pick one up for $1500-2000usd. Good luck.

That's true what is commonly said... EU prices are higher than in US... a 1601 here (Italy) from a AD is about 2700-2800 €...

The way I'm trying to follow is the same that dpap has pointed out... Gen case... then a good dial (Gen?) a 2824 and so on...

I have a 36mm gen dial and hands, but work out a dial first, and read up on 2824.

This is a quite bad case as far as spelling and similar is concerned.

http://rafflesdials.com/rolex-signed-vintage-style-of-36mm-stainless-steel-datejust-watch-case-with-smooth-bezel-and-20mm-lugs-size-fit-eta-2824-movement-and-dial-in-28-0-28-5mm/

My tip is either buy a 36mm vintage DJ and sell the mvmt and replace it with say a ETA 2472 or 2783. You get a full case,dial and hands. As a "pack". Or build Everything from scratch with bits and pieces here and there...