When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP 26470 Elephant

Hello all first post here I have read some great threads/answers, really interesting stuff I commend a lot of you on your help towards others and hopefully me to be one of them.

I own a gen Audermars Elephant as it's known but it scratches easy so wanted to take some wear time off of it so have put it away in the safe.

Now I miss it but do not want to continue scratching it in day to day wear so would like to buy the best rep available maybe even have it modded if there is any faults that can be changed, by some of the fantastic hands I have been reading about in the forums.

If anyone has any experience with this model please any advice or direction much appreciated.

Also if anyone knows if the gen straps will fit on the current jf version of the AP26470

Thanks in adv.

• 4 weeks later...

Suggest you should just wear it and acquire a ceramic or forged carbon or steel rep diver and get legend to mod a little for you. Or if you have 5 grand to spare you can acquire a franken AP ROO, and have a couple of watches in your arsenal to play with. You already bought the watch, and its meant to be worn. TBH, AP has very little residual appreciation, you can see historically all the steel 42-44mm ROOs prices are coming down by at least 30% or even more for some RG models. This means, even if you keep it in the safe, it wont appreciate any much more unless you plan to bet on selling it after 40-60 years in Mint, quite possibly you could make some money, but we do not know yet.

Historically speaking, the Jumbo RO only made it with appreciation value, many other ROOs which majority of them did not hold their value that well. So I would suggest you to wear this occasionally instead.

I have a few friends who plays with these gen ROOs and they wear them almost daily because they are aware about this massive depreciation on their watches, when they dont like it anymore they will sell it without even thinking twice. And yes, you cant get away with those hairline scratches no matter how careful you are, its inevitable. Look at AP as sort of owning a Bentley, people who could afford the real thing often change their cars within 5 years, even when it suffered massive depreciation that would still move on to a newer Bentley, since they already made that much.

this is just my personal observation and opinion :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1