When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need replacement movement for Chopard GT XL non chrono rep

mingus1959

Hi, I am new to this forum and I need a new movement for my Chopard Grand Turismo XL non crono. It has simple Asian 21J movement that fails to work properly and is beyond repair. Tried to service it but it simply stops after some time. Want to find decent replacement movement as the rest of the watch is pretty nicely done. Would clone ETA 2824 or 2836 fit? Or 2824-2 or 2836-2? Any other? And, where do you suggest I should get one? Any advice would be highly appriciated.

chopardxl.jpg

Ok, great, thanks!

But, as I don't have any experience with movement swap, what's with the dimensions? I mean, all those suggested movements are, as I can see, aprox 26m in diametar, and the 21J that is presently inside is about 34. My question is, how would the 26mm movement fit 42mm case watch? My main concerne is date window... Maybe my question is stupid one, but it's the first time that I am trying to change the movement to one of my watches, so please be kind on me;)

I believe this is the movement you ned, its not complete, but if you ship your watch to me, I have the parts here, and from your watch to make you a good movement.  I'm from the Uk originally, and now reside in Finland, EU since 2007.

26355255897_c17200b72a_k.jpgDSC01373 by S STEEL, on Flickr

40331141745_35d3210a1d_k.jpgDSC01374 by S STEEL, on Flickr

I'm a service provider in watchmaking in case you were unaware.

To the OP... you can't simply swap a movement with another... you should check stem height, hands size (hole), movement height (rotor needs room)... and then install a proper date wheel (since your is black)

SSTEEL has the knowledge to do it for you...

Just to clarify...

The Date wheel falls more or less in the same position... but look at the stem height ("Data">"T") and the size of the hands ("Hands") of these two movements (DG2813 and ETA2836)

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&China_2813

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA_2836_2

As you can see there's a little difference in the stem height (2.3mm vs 2.25mm) but you cannot install the same hands ( 1.52 x 1.00 x 0.17mm vs 1.50 x 0.90 x 0.25mm)... hence you should change them... good luck finding a Chopard rep hands that will fit an ETA movement! (Don't know the size of the gen hands...)

That's why a swap (often) can be made only with the same movement... or a similar one...(The DG2813 and Miyota 8215 have indeed the same size/stem/hands)

If it was a Rolex rep that would be easier since on the market there are a lot of hands for various movement...