When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally finished 5513 - uncommon crystal

e30m3

"Never been a fan of Rolex in my life..."

Always liked their vintage model watches...5512/5513/1016/1603/1655/1675.  Favorites being 5513, 1016, 1603.  Like the looks of the 5513 better than the 5512 because the '12 dial is too busy imho.  The lume color on the e30m3 dial is much better than the Yuki dial on the '5512' project watch that I wear now and then because it is bright white...it looks like a black Stop sign.  The project '5512' has an MBK case but the e30m3 watch looks more realistic overall.

Vintage to me = acrylic crystal models with 1030, 1530, 1210 base movements, favorites being 1530 base watches.  Wore mostly Timex (!) in the 1960s, and Accutrons in the 1970s/80s.  First rolex was in 1972, an automatic that ran down when left to its own devices.  It was very needy compared to an Accutron, just could not get used to being married to it.  I can wear one enough to keep it running now.  If I feel like it.

I still keep an Accutron II handy.  Old habits die hard.

Since the early 1990s RWC has been very, very hard for me to like at all.  Their corporate philosophy seems to have gone from Unpleasant to Draconian.  It seems (to me) they have developed the utmost contempt for their customers.

The next 10 years may be trying times for them with the older watch wearing generations fading out and the newer generations not much interested in $7000 mechanical watches that keep time plus or minus, break when dropped, stop when left alone, and need $1000 tune-ups every few years.

...and NO! they will not sell you parts so Uncle Ed's Watch Shop down the street can fix it for you.   :protest:

• 1 month later...

Same here....just love vintage and inspired by this thread I decided to get a 5513 case from Sead and build my own....having a lot of swiss spare parts which I got form a friend watchmaker who passed away, I have to check and organize about 30 moving boxes 😤. Most is not organized so it will be a hell of a job but it's like a treasure hunt....exiting. Already discovered Omega, Tissot and Rolex parts between the rest.

That crystal is gorgeous!! Its profile looks just like the tropic 39 that I cut down for my Frosty Flake build. Very nice and 1/30th the price.

0a99cb3ac3a4acbe7de695473fcc6b17.jpg

Here's the CWP for comparison, at 10x the price.

6d8f8e15c163f8cce8b6cfd24efe69c9.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 10:33 PM, Nanuq said:

:) it's funny what this hobby does to us. We're raving about only spending $10 on something that really should be $.75 :)

I chuckled. It's true. Sad, but true.

That shaved T39 looks great too - before going GS I wondered if it was possible to shave w/o losing the profile. 

On 5/28/2018 at 12:46 PM, alt.watch.obsessive said:

This looks excellent. Love the lume on the dial/hands/pip and the profile looks great.

Thanks! HR nailed the lume. I just matched his dial for the pip and hands.

• 1 month later...

Guys, just a quick nerdy note for those looking to replicate this build - I THOUGHT I'd used a GS PA462-19M crystal, but in fact it was a GS PA462-20A. The 19M is a better fit for the bezel, but a little loose on the neck. Critically, though, it's not as domed as the 20A! 😁