When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Manual Espresso Machine clone? I thought of the one thing that China doesn't clone that we need.

RickFlorida

So I was thinking the other day....   Why in heaven's name hasn't China cloned an old school Pavoni manual espresso machine?  They have successfully cloned many other simple machines that have been around a long time and seeing that broken old Pavoni's are 600 dollars..... why the hell have they not thought of this yet?

China usually loves to clone simple machines.  For example, they have a perfect clone of the old small centrifugal casting machines that dentists use to use and that jewelers use as well.  I own one of them and it works just as good as the original ones that came from Buffalo New York 40 years ago. 

The point is... of all the factories in China, how in the world has one of them not thought of cloning some bad ass old Pavoni manual lever espresso machines?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 14 April 2018 at 7:55 AM, RickFlorida said:

So I was thinking the other day....   Why in heaven's name hasn't China cloned an old school Pavoni manual espresso machine?  

It is only a matter of time if one isn't out there just yet.  It all comes down to cost and profit.  $600 is still a good price for what t actually is and making a knock off that is cheaper is really the issue. Most items that are made in Europe  would probably already use parts made in China and just assembled there!  

Speaking of coffee, I grew up in a neighbourhood consisting mostly of Neapolitan families or from around those regions!  One family that owned  a cafe had one of those machines when they were still considered a novelty.  One thing I noticed was that  Gennaro the owner of the cafe never drank coffee from it whenever we visited them as friends at the back of the cafe!  I always saw that he would use the old aluminium/ stainless steel perculator that was octahedral in shape to make his own coffee to drink. I questioned him about it and his response was that coffee tasted better from the percolator and the espresso machine was meant to serve as a substitute for big commercial turnover, otherwise you would be washing the percolator most of he day and a cup of coffee would cost 5 times more because of the time involved.  He then proved it to me and made me a cup from both of them using the same ground coffee and just as a flower that blossoms in spring, he was 100% correct,.  He made me guess which was which!  BTW, as this forum is about watches, I might add that he wore an omega Seamaster from the 1950's :)

Edited by Timelord

3 hours ago, keeper said:

Gennaro, I'd say was hidebound.

The same can be said about most of us here with these mechanical timepieces  which in today's mainstream are replaced  by the more modern apple and Casio watches just  like the coffee percolator is with the espresso machine!!!  

• 1 month later...
Guest keeper
On 2/27/2019 at 5:25 AM, horologist said:

The same can be said about most of us here with these mechanical timepieces  which in today's mainstream are replaced  by the more modern apple and Casio watches just  like the coffee percolator is with the espresso machine!!!  

Yes...zactly.

Hang on.....Morrissey is droning in my ear about Caligula. :)

I realized it might only be in USA that old broken manual expresso machines like Pavoni's are 600 dollars.  In Europe, they are probably easy to find much cheaper and then fix them. It's a unique problem we have with the hipsters driving up prices of old things.

Just now, RickFlorida said:

Edited by RickFlorida

• 3 weeks later...