When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

hanski

Question

Hello, new to the replica marketplace but have been reading as much as possible. I’ve noticed no one seems to be talking about two things I’d like to know more about: reliability and construction of all the parts of a replica. (Please post links of discussion that exist that I haven’t found yet) 

First, reliability. What should ones expectation be for these replicas? For instance, a Regmariner from Narikaa is in the same price range as an Invicta 9937 ProDiver. Can one assume they will perform similarly over time? At this price range, what is expected to fail after 1 yr, 5 yrs, or even 10 years (if anything)? 

Comparing the next price level up, how will a Noobmariner V7 perform in comparison to, say, a Steinhart Ocean One? 

Asked a different way, when buying a replica, are you buying a lesser watch with better aesthetics/branding than a name brand at that price point? Or are you buying a similar quality? 

Second, can anyone speak to the construction of replicas as a whole? Everyone points out the bezel, band, crystal, and movement but what about: 

- Dial material

- Hand material

- Pearl material

- Marker material

- Luminescent paint type

- Rubber gasket material

- Type of screws holding the band together

- Type of spring bar

- And how are these things attached (Elmer’s glue, solder, etc)

I get it, it’s a replica marketplace - there is no QC. But there is plenty of opportunity for QC by those buying the watches. Add that extra layer of construction information and follow up on how your watch is holding up after some number of years. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights. 

18 answers to this question

Replicas in general if you are buying a reasonable price one (say 350ish and up) should be reliable. On saying that, there are a lot of variables involved.

-how rough are you with your watches?
-what movement doesn't it have?
-what material is it made from say steel vs forged carbon
-your climate? Is it humid or mild. Things get more aged depending on weather conditions
-are you wearing the watch every day?

What I'm trying to say is, your questions are too generalised. One version of a rep might be better than other and that could be from the same factory. For example my AD friend said customers who wear their Patek every day actually tend to return them cos some models are actually not very reliable or accurate-not many people would actually wear a Patek as a beater as they probably have more than one watch anyway.

I think you might be over analysing for rep which I can honestly say is very affordable amount compared to gen.

Steinhart are good watches, but to me they are pretty ugly but reliable. Is not an apple to apple debate. Enjoy reps, do your research and relax, is not an investment or a marriage but more of a hobby.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply! 

The last time I said, “relax, it’s no big deal” I ended up with two kids and a wife... ;)

But in all seriousness I’m trying to avoid throwing a couple hundred bucks at something that’ll die in 6 months. 

I presently have two watches in rotation: 

- A Junghans Max Bill Mechanical with leather strap for the office and dressing up. 

- A 1940s Wittnauer Military mechanical with nylon bond strap, SS casing, 15j Swiss movement (services once in 10 years), and never properly sealed for knocking around. 

Both serve me well but I’m looking for something to replace the Wittnauer as my rough-house watch. It’ll get knocked around with the kids and most definitely wet - whether that be from the 8 months of rain here or plunging my hand in the bathtub to pop a kid out. 

I like the aesthetic of the Subs. I like the concept of a durable, well-built watch. I somehow really like the idea of getting a replica for 20x less that will serve me as well (or better since I didn’t shell out 20x more). 

Unfortunately the homages always seem to get something wrong with the aesthetics. They don’t ever seem to look quite as nice. 

If Reg gets back to me I’ll probably take the plunge and try one out. 

In general, the thing most likely to fail is the movement. If you allow for the price of a service when you buy the watch you should be okay. Additionally, if your movement is a cheap 21J then replace it if it breaks or if it’s better quality the have it serviced. The only other thing I worry about are watches with complications such as chronographs. Read up on which ones are likely to go wrong and you can avoid them or adjust your expectations! A native A7750 is better than one with seconds at 6 or 12. 

@mzinski If you look for reliability go for a gen... a rep could last a lifetime or few days.

None of my rep has ever had any problem (or a least they had minor issue, easily fixed) but I've heard of people that got the watch DOA forcing them to deal with the seller or replace the movement.

The root cause of the problem with rep reliability is that the watches are assembled in areas that are less than sterile and rep watches often have dirty movements. Given good luck or a service, the movement in a rep will last as well as anything else. The metal in the clone movements is apparently slightly softer than the ETA or Swiss clones, In practice if the movement is clean and properly lubed it will have a long life and most can be repaired. Also it depends which gen watch you are talking about. High street designer brands have cheap, crap Chinese movements. Rolex has long aimed at providing durable movements, but I hear Audemars Piguet movements are actually less than reliable.

^^^what he said

If you buy a rep with the Asian ETA clone movement and wind up loving it, you can always have a Swiss ETA transplanted in later, and those little rascals seem to run forever.

You'll have to pay a little more, but try to pick a piece that's built with "genuine" construction.  For example, the MBK/MBW vintage Submariners have real bezel retaining rings that are pressed on over the crystal just like gen, and the bezel snaps on and the insert snaps in, just like gen.  The genuine designs are plenty simple, and pretty robust.  They just work.  Get some of that, and you'll be able to wear the watch until you're sick of it.  

My newest rep is a little over 5 years old, and it developed a mild weirdness with winding it up from a cold start.  I sent it off to Misiekped and he fixed it up and sent it right back.  Simple repair, and I bet it will go 10-15 years without even thinking about it now.

Like the man said, this is a hobby.  Like any other hobby, more expense = more quality.  Get juuuuuust over that price/quality curve where you're into gen-like construction, and you're home free.

Don't listen to Sogeha, he was dropped when he was young.  "Modern reps are better".  Pfffffffffffffft   :p

MBWs are indeed long gone, but some folks can still get MBK ... maybe.  There's a guy that made them and a couple years ago one of our members said his "widow" offered to sell the entire remaining stock after the guy died.  It's not exactly clear what is really going on over there, but if you can find either one you'll like it.  Good solid pieces.

If you're not looking for "vintage" then pieces like the new ARF factory 50th Anniversary Sea Dweller are amazingly high quality.

sd43.jpg

1 minute ago, Nanuq said:

Don't listen to Sogeha, he was dropped when he was young.  "Modern reps are better".  Pfffffffffffffft   :neener:

My mother had me tested!

1 minute ago, Nanuq said:

It's not exactly clear what is really going on over there, 

Wouldn’t be MBK/MBW if anyone had the slightest idea what was going on now would it?

14 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

Wouldn’t be MBK/MBW if anyone had the slightest idea what was going on now would it?

Truer words were never spoken.  :notworthy:

Mmmmmmmmmmm, MBK..........

mbw_red.jpg

Very nice Minty, but didn’t our guys find that the crystal or bezel construction wasn’t gen spec and caused issues with modding?

I’m pretty sure I still have a MBW somewhere. Nothing beats a Shitinerand for old school cool though

my personal experience stay with a non chrongraph watch and a watch that is not to busy and do some research on the watch from people that bought it dont be the first buy on a new release that said if you really want a watch buy a 300 plus Rolex Sub im pretty sure it last you many years of no worries maybe stay away from the 3135 movement and youll be ok

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk