When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Case Tube Wrench for Athaya 702?

mrsoundman

I purchased a 6.0 & 7.0 Clark Case Tube Wrench off the Bay and it's too big for my Athaya 702 Tube...  Any ideas which wrench will work with this tube? 

I did a little research and the Clark tool is for NEW style 6.0 & 7.0 tubes.  The weird thing is, I can only find an OLD style 6.0 wrench though....

Oh wait, this old thread says "The 6mm case tube wrench works on both 6mm and 7mm case tubes, why they don't advertise them as such, really baffles me."

Hmmmm..... so I wonder if an OLD style 6.0 Wrench will work on the 702 Athaya? 

"Any ideas which wrench will work with this tube?"

Modern 6.0mm and 7.0mm case tubes with external splines use the same tube wrench. 

A case tube wrench for modern 5.3mm tubes with external splines is a little bit smaller. 

I have an Athaya case tube left over from a project and it takes a 5.3mm case tube wrench made for external splines. 

Besides using a 5.3mm case tube wrench, the threads were the wrong pitch to go into an OEM spec case.  I ended up using a WSO 990 case tube made for 'no dot' 7mm crowns.  If the Athaya case tube does not want to start in the case or binds up before it is seated in the case...do not use it.  It may seize in the case or break off. 

The bad...You may have to go with a WSO 990 case tube and it seems they sure are proud of them ($$). 

The good...The quality is first rate and they are made out of stainless steel.

Q...Did the WSO tube work Ok?

A...Not at first.

Q...Why?

A...The thread pitch was right but the overall OD was a hair too big to screw into the case.

Q...What was the fix?

A...Polish the OD of the threads a little with Simichrome polish (or some other fine grit polishing compound) on a small buff wheel in a Dremel tool.

That fixed it.