When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Tool for repair/reassemble Oyster Links

Propofol

Hey guys

I’m tired of dissembling myself the Oyster bracelets I have.

Anyone would know where to pick up those nice specific tools displayed in this video by “Perfect Time”

I need at least the repair tool and the refitting tool..

If some one have ideas ..

Thanks !!

• Like 1

if it's genuine Rolex you will pay the price...I had  a Rolex 1008 set once bought in a inheritance but sold it as I didn't have any Rolex...i still see them on the Rolexfora, around $2900 in used condition.

"Actually these are Vietnamese tool and displayed at 1200 USD each one.."

$1200!! 

Pressing the links together is easy.  You can press them together with a $8 bench vise from eBay.

Example:  eBay item number  192482064496

Here is a 4" vise a few steps up in quality for a little more $$:  eBay item number   273148184281

Line the jaws with brass or something soft to prevent scratches.

It would not be hard to rig something up for around $75 or so using available tools modified for the task. 

Getting the links apart without damage will require a device that clamps the link down and spreads it apart. 

Maybe mount a set of small clamps on top of the jaws on the eBay 273148184281 vise.  The vise frame/jaws are made out of cast iron so it can be drilled and tapped easily.  All you need are clamping devices of some sort with padded jaws to prevent damage to the tops of the outside links.  Anyone who can work on a watch should be able to make a tool to take links apart and press them together.  'Padded' = brass, copper, aluminum etc.

Btw...I have seen 'watch fixers' drive razor blades, box cutter blades etc between the links to get them apart.  Sometimes it does not leave much of a mark.  Sometimes (usually) it does.

Good Lord.

I use box cutter blades to get them apart, and leather strips and Channellock pliers to press them back together.

It's not rocket science, guys.  Don't get sucked in by the hype.

"Actually these are Vietnamese tool and displayed at 1200 USD each one.."

$1200!! 

Pressing the links together is easy.  You can press them together with a $8 bench vise from eBay.
Example:  eBay item number  192482064496
Here is a 4" vise a few steps up in quality for a little more $$:  eBay item number   273148184281

Line the jaws with brass or something soft to prevent scratches.
It would not be hard to rig something up for around $75 or so using available tools modified for the task. 

Getting the links apart without damage will require a device that clamps the link down and spreads it apart. 
Maybe mount a set of small clamps on top of the jaws on the eBay 273148184281 vise.  The vise frame/jaws are made out of cast iron so it can be drilled and tapped easily.  All you need are clamping devices of some sort with padded jaws to prevent damage to the tops of the outside links.  Anyone who can work on a watch should be able to make a tool to take links apart and press them together.  'Padded' = brass, copper, aluminum etc.

Btw...I have seen 'watch fixers' drive razor blades, box cutter blades etc between the links to get them apart.  Sometimes it does not leave much of a mark.  Sometimes (usually) it does.

You are right and I was thinking about a solution like this. I opened links before with two hands tools but it left marks on the links ..
Maybe two different jaws on each side, I need to think about it and draw something.

Any ideas where to get the replacement pins ?
He won’t sell them separately from the tool

Sorry, I got no ideas about replacement pins.  I just tear apart, errrrrr, "gently disassemble" my bands and then cram them back together.

If it's a rivet band I bend the midlink until it clears the bar holding it in place, and take it apart.  Then I reattach the links to recreate the band, then hold it in my palm with "inner" side out, and use a small screwdriver as a punch to bend the midlink back to where it wants to be.

Crude, yes.  But it also often introduces a very mild deformation to the midlink that looks exactly like the band has been well used and bashed against things for many years.  It looks completely authentic.

• Like 1

I've actually seen this in action when I brought my wife's 16200 down to my regular shop and he removed a few permanent links for her. There isn't any damage to the links and it can be refit back when needed perfectly.

He too was grumbling about how expensive it costs! I am on the edge of buying one but just can't bear to part with 800!

Looking for:

Any AP DIVER/ROO Working/Faulty/Damaged
Cartier Balon Bleu 36mm
Gen IWC 5001/5007 Dial

PM Me if you have what I need!

"Maybe two different jaws on each side, I need to think about it and draw something."

After looking at the custom made pliers for spreading links apart...  

https://rwg.cc/topic/179096-permanent-link-removal/

Maybe you can make a tool out of a set of C-clip remover pliers like eBay item number  401439961933  or something similar and grind the tips to fit the application. 

Here is a YouTube video showing some different styles:

https:  //www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwxsMj8Jgl0 

Close the gap to complete the address.

"Could you then fix SEL issues??"

Good question.

Taking the last bracelet link apart would allow the SEL end link to be removed if that is what you need.  On some replicas the SEL links are solid and some are made in three pieces.  Some genuine models are made in three pieces too.  I have not taken a three piece SEL link apart but it is probably pressed together like the regular links.

Some genuine SEL bracelets have the SEL end link attached to the bracelet with a small spring bar rather than a press pin.  Do not know if they all are this way or not.  Since I work on vintage models I have no experience with modern SEL bracelets. 

A forum member who knows more about them may chime in with some information. 

You can go to 'BING' search and type in   Rolex 93250 bracelet construction   and see lots of SEL bracelet pictures...some with one piece SEL and some with three piece SEL.

Here is an old thread showing a genuine one piece SEL and a three piece replica SEL:

https:   //rwg.cc/topic/141510-tc-93250-oyster-bracelet/

Close the gap to complete the address.