When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Waterproofing

Champsy

Question

Hi guys being quite new to the rep world and a huge scuba lover I am curious to know what depth we can have our reps waterproofed to?

Has anyone tested factory standard at depths?

I have heard 10ATM has been achieved, does anyone here do this? 

Thanks in adv for any answers

10 answers to this question

As above, but also remember modern depth ratings are not really relevant. Anything beyond 50 metres and you are into professional diving, with professional diving gear, not some lame ass rep or even a genuine Rolex these days. Nobody uses a dive watch instead of a modern dive computer, nobody times motorsport on a Daytona, and pilots don’t rely on pilot watches.

I have a watch rated for 2500 metres, which would only really be useful for working out how long I’ve been dead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sogeha said:

As above, but also remember modern depth ratings are not really relevant. Anything beyond 50 metres and you are into professional diving, with professional diving gear, not some lame ass rep or even a genuine Rolex these days. Nobody uses a dive watch instead of a modern dive computer, nobody times motorsport on a Daytona, and pilots don’t rely on pilot watches.

I have a watch rated for 2500 metres, which would only really be useful for working out how long I’ve been dead. 

50 metres would do me fine I'm currently only allowed to 40 anyway.  Disagree that people do not still wear them for diving alongside a digital dive computer, myself being one only with an IWC if only because it can and should.

If you want to wear a dive watch to dive, because you can, I highly recommend you read up on and buy a Scufa. Professional diver and Rolex collector, who decided to start making dive watches for him and his work buddies. Quartz accuracy and relatively cheap, because they are a genuine tool watch. I love mine and never go near water without it.

• Like 1

All of my watches had gone into the water when scuba without any sort of waterproofing. just be sure that the crow is screw down well and go have fun. I don't do that anymore. I use a dive computer

Edited by cib0rgman
  • Like 1

The more basic the design the better chance you have of sealing it successfully. Generally, I'd not bother with chronographs - although one of my Seamaster chrono reps was successfully tested to the maximum capability of Timpsons test equipment (can't remember but 100m or maybe even 200m). 

• Thanks 1

The more basic the design the better chance you have of sealing it successfully. Generally, I'd not bother with chronographs - although one of my Seamaster chrono reps was successfully tested to the maximum capability of Timpsons test equipment (can't remember but 100m or maybe even 200m). 

Timpsoms have testing equipment! How much do they charge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes they can do the test in-store. They didn’t charge me as the machine wasn’t capable of reaching the 300m required by my watch. Sorry I didn’t ask the price b

• Like 1