When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Baselworld 2017 Seadweller single red. Noob or ARF?

richard591

This question was buried in my last post looking for a datewheel overlay, which may be why I have no responses.

I'm looking at the latest Baselworld 2017 Seadweller single red with some interest. Of the two likely candidates, the Noob version and the ARF version look to be the best. The ARF (more expensive) uses the 2824 movement and the Noob the 2836. Since all my others are 2836 movements, that would be the preference for simplicity, but I assume most of the critical parts are interchangeable, as the 2824 is just the non-day version of the 2836.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has bought one recently, or who has particular views which may be helpful before finally deciding.

I must confess my two Noob V6s DSSD's (Black & D-Blue) have not disappointed in the time i've had them and as luck would have it are extremely accurate - after a few months of consistent regulation and tinkering.

The 2824 and 2836 are related, but not quite the same. The stem height is different and the 2824 is the same height as the new Rolex 3235 movement. I wouldn’t worry too much about complicating things by owning bothe 2824and 2836, these are not difficult movementsto get serviced or repaired and spare parts are available.

Thanks for that sogeha.

I tend to agree. For me it's more about the quality of the case, bracelet etc than the two different movements. The only minor issue between the two movements is that I have 2 spare 2836 movements all set up ready with face/hands as replacement "drop ins" to use whenever I send one off for servicing. That simply means that I dont have a watch out of commission while that's happening, otherwise it's not an issue, I'm sure I can live without that for one watch if needs be.

So, do you have any views on the quality differences between the ARF and Noob? I think my money might be on the Noob, but having said that I don't know the ARF.

The ARF is widely regarded as an incredible ootb rep. I’ve seen a few people remove the cyclops on it too and it looks amazing.

I’ve been very close to buying it, but I prefer my 40mm rollie’s and the Noob V9 sub and New ARF sub are about to hit the market with 3135’s, I’m waiting impatiently!

• Like 1

I read on RG or on another forum about the 116610LN differences between NOOB and AFR that the NOOB case and rehaut are better, ARF has the best dail, SEL,

bracelet, bezel and crystal. Don't know if this also goes for the 2017 single red.

I'm a dyed in the wool vintage Rolex buff and I'd never consider a contemporary piece, even if it was given to me free of charge. Horrible ghastly things.

Until I saw the ARF SD43.

Yes, I bought one. I violated my personal ethics and it lives in Chez Nanuq. And by God, it's beautiful.

I've got absolutely no complaints about it save one: it uses a very "white" shade of steel for the case, and not for the band. ARF say it's 904 alloy just like Rolex, and they may be right. But the band is something else and the "color" of the steel is different than the case. It's subtle but it's there.

Other than that, it's absolutely worth the money. It's solid as a tank, substantial, and feels every bit the part of genuine Rolex. There's nothing cheap or flimsy or tinny about it. You'll come to admire the case size as a nice step up from the vintage stuff but not over large like the DSSD.

Really, what have you got to lose? If you don't like it, sell it on for a $50 loss. It's worth the gamble.