When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5500 explorer build

irate03

I'd like to share a quick rough and ready build. This is my 34mm Explorer.

Rolex 5500 case set.

Yuki Explorer dial and hands.

An old 'no brand' rivet bracelet I bought ages ago.

Powered by an ETA 2783

The plexi is from Cousins UK and I removed the cyclops and polished.

5500expl_1.JPG

5500expl_2.JPG

5500expl_3.JPG

5500expl_4.JPG

wristy435.jpg

5500expl_6.jpg

5500expl_7.jpg

5500expl_8.jpg

5500expl_9.jpg

• Like 3

Looks super good!

Rolex 1002 and 1003 cases will work for these projects too, they use the same crystals, crowns, dials etc. 

1002 = smooth bezel

1003 = engine turned bezel

I tried making a similar watch with a JMB 34mm tudor type case and it needs a 2824 movement as a 2836/46 is too thick, 2783 might be too, did not try one.  I was shooting for a 21600 bph movement (2846).  

Genuine AK and 1002/3 cases have more 'rotor room'.

I ended up using a 1002 case, rlx 1560, Yuki dial, and the new bezel from the JMB toot.

"An old 'no brand' rivet bracelet I bought ages ago."

I have one too, probably from the 1970s with a triangle where the rolex coronet would be on the clasp cap.  The rivets are round headed (not hollow), the hoods are 20mm, and the clasp is 14mm wide.

It is the stretchy hair puller type. 

Saw Nivada on the rotor...

Nivada (Grenchen Switzerland) is also Croton.

2 hours ago, Sogeha said:

@irate03 I think the penny has just dropped. You used to post a lot on HF and did some rather tasty Pam dials at one time. I well remember following that Tudor build. I would love to see you posting more here mate.

That's me :) here's my little collection (Gen 1969 Datejust 1603) , soon to be adding a 1655

wristy445.jpg

wristy446.jpg

wristy448.jpg

Edited by irate03
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

@irate03 Stunning build, especially having been cooked up in a hurry. That photo of it sitting in the box could be straight out of a Rolex catalog.

If you're game to entertain a few noob questions from someone embarking on a similar build, I'm in the process of sourcing parts and could definitely benefit from a few tips:

• Do you have a link for the CousinsUK crystal? I've been trying to find a properly domed T12 but am mostly finding the newer, beveled-edge service crystals.

Was this the Yuki dial you used? They've got it listed as compatible with Rolex movements but seems like you managed to get it working with your 2783. Nice! Did you have to buy a separate, ETA-compatible handset, or did the ones that came with the dial fit okay?

I'll take the liberty of answering a few of your questions. The Yuki dial you linked to is fine. You can also go to yukiwatch.com and look at 5 or 6 5500 dials which will also work. I don't know what the difference is between .com and .net for yukiwatch. The hands won't work unless you brooch them- best to buy a set of eta hands and color them to match the lume of the dial. Looks like there's also a spacer ring in there also- the #2 ring from rafflestime.com should work.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It is a 1979 1002 all gen with 1570.

clark xtal and yuki dial + hands.

this is the first time I have worked on a Rolex movement. I was pretty freaked out about messing up a very expensive movement.  I actually had the watch serviced and I asked the watchmaker to put the dial and hands on. He said the dial wouldn’t work. I gave it a go when I got it home and found that the dial feet were about 0.002 too thick, so I took them down with sandpaper. 

Edited by Vibes